Chapter 24: A Nightmare

Claire leaned against the ambulance door, settling deeper in her seat. She was shivering, cold with fear and anxiety. Her arms were covered in goosebumps, though her skin was warm where Owen had touched her. In her hands was a small tablet that monitored the cameras on the raptors' collars. One of the InGen workers had given it to her before leaving with the others to hunt the Indominus.

Claire stared at the screen anxiously. This was the only way she would be able to view the hunt. What if the Indominus overpowers the raptors? What if she attacks the men? What if she attacks the raptors? What if she attacks Owen? What if? What if? What if?

She had countless questions but zero answers. It pained her to be a mere spectator in the safety of an ambulance while Owen risked his life in the forest. Couldn't she do something besides sitting inside and doing nothing?

Just then, the small window behind Claire's seat opened and her nephews popped their heads in.

"What's happening now? Did they find the Indominus?" Gray asked frantically. Claire suppressed the urge to hide the tablet from her nephews. They care about Owen, too, she told herself.

"No, not yet. But the raptors are slowing down, so they must be close."

Zach craned his head down and squinted at the screen. In the center, shown through one of cameras, Owen could be seen atop his motorcycle, his brow furrowed in concentration, as he followed his four raptors. He looked at his aunt with a grin. Damn, Aunt Claire. How the hell did you manage to attract him? Mom will be very happy about this.

Claire caught him staring at her with a smug smirk. She raised an eyebrow.

"Something to say, Zach?"

Zach shrugged nonchalantly, gesturing at the tablet. "Your boyfriend's a badass."

Claire felt herself blush at his comment. She wanted to correct him, to deny it, but the thought of Owen officially being her boyfriend made her throat constrict. Her lips still tingled from their several kisses. She turned her face away from her nephews to try and hide her growing smile. They noticed it anyway.

Suddenly, the raptors came at a halt at the edge of a clearing, fanning around their beta, Blue. Behind them, the van slid to a stop and InGen workers lined up in the bushes. Owen was among them, his rifle clenched tightly in front of him.

"They found her. They found her, didn't they?" Zach asked quietly, his earlier impishness gone already.

Claire turned to him with a nod. Her eyes were shining with fear. Gray reached forward and placed his hand on his aunt's shoulder. Claire was surprised at the small act of compassion coming from her younger nephews. She covered it with hers, remembering when Owen used to envelop her fingers into the palm of his hand.

The three of them sat close to each other, fear drumming in their veins. It was somewhat a sharper fear than what they had experienced in the jungle. This time, they were only spectators watching a suicide mission, and they were powerless to stop it. The whole ordeal seemed like a nightmare, but there was no waking up tonight.

The Indominus appearing. The raptors baring their teeth. A growl exchanged. Another one. The men confused and baffled. The raptors turning to stand beside the Indominus. The looks of horror plastered on the men's faces. The order to fire. Gun shots. Roars of fury. Screams of agony. Chaos. Darkness.

Claire was gasping, her shoulders shaking as her eyes watered. Gray was rubbing her back in that sweet, innocent way; he wasn't completely sure of what had just happened with the Indominus and the raptors.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God," Claire whispered. She gripped the sides of the tablet tightly. Would the raptors have the nerve to attack their own trainer? He raised them from birth! Is it possible that Owen's already dead as I sit here alive? What good is life if the one you love most is gone forever?

Suddenly, Claire's heart stopped beating. I never told him that I loved him. Her breath caught. I never told him that I loved him. She swallowed and fought back a fresh wave of tears, panic, and nausea. I need to stay strong for my nephews.

"Is... is everyone dead?" Gray peeped fearfully.

"No, no. Everyone is fine," Claire said quickly.

"Don't lie to him!" Zach snapped. His tone was sharper than he had meant it to be due to fear.

"He's scared. It's okay to lie when people are scared!" Claire exclaimed.

"Owen knew you were scared, but he told you the truth about everything!"

"That's because he... he..." Claire trailed off. She had almost admitted their relationship to her nephews. Her cheeks burning, she desperately wished that the conversation hadn't gone down this path. I'm probably being the worst aunt to them. God, Zach's right.

"You're right, Zach. You're absolutely right," Claire sighed. She turned to Gray. "The mission didn't go exactly as planned."

"Is Owen alright?" Zach asked, his tone softer. Somewhere hidden in his voice was a hint of apology.

"I don't know. I wish I could say 'yes' but I can't. Owen... he's a very strong person. I know he'll be fine. He's... resourceful. And clever. He'll get through this." Am I saying this to comfort my nephews, or am I trying to convince myself?

"Is that why you fell for him?" Zach questioned innocently in an attempt to lighten the mood. Claire reddened.

"Zach. Why are you so interested in my love life?" she sighed.

"Maybe 'cause you've never had one before."

"Yes, but-"

Suddenly, there was a loud thump on the ambulance window beside Claire. She jumped, spun around, and came face to face with a bloody hand. It groped at the glass in desperation, leaving horrid red trails on the window.

Claire's screams pierced the eerily silent night like sirens wailing in the dark. This nightmare had just begun.
_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!