Chapter 29: She Came Back

Claire slammed the ambulance door shut and covered her face with her hands. First he tells me that there is no love between us. Now he leaves me after saying that 'I am his universe'. She swiped at her tears, which were streaming down her cheeks like rivers down a hill. Groping clumsily at the steering wheel with her slippery fingers, she managed to steer the vehicle away from the Innovation Center.

Behind her, the small window leading to the back of the ambulance slid open cautiously. Her nephews had vaguely heard her shouting at Owen, and him shouting back.

"Aunt Claire? What's going on?"

Claire forced her tears to stop and her voice not to waver as she replied without turning around. "I'm driving us to the control room. Just sit tight, Gray. We'll be there soon."

"But where's Owen?" Gray asked insistently. Claire winced and took a deep breath, not wanting at all to touch on the subject.

"He- he's staying with his raptors to... finish everything," she said quietly before hastily adding, "But he'll be fine. He'll meet us at the control room." If he survives the fight, she though before she could stop herself.

Zach jerked back as if he had been rebuked. "You just left him?" he cried incredulously, not believing what he heard. After everything Aunt Claire's done with him, she just leaves him to die like that? No wonder she's been able to stay single all her life. Mom will be pissed off for sure. She just lost a potential brother-in-law. I'm pissed off. I just lost a future badass uncle!

Claire felt another wave of tears threaten to spill. She swallowed. "No, I didn't. I mean, I did... but he told us to leave! It's for the best." Even as she spoke, she could feel herself slowly crumbling from the guilt. I shouldn't have abandoned him. I shouldn't have abandoned hope.

"But Aunt Claire... don't you love him?" Gray peeped, his voice trembling. "If you love him, wouldn't you stay with him?" Clearly, Claire wasn't the only one who had grown attached to the warm-hearted raptor trainer.

Claire began to cry again, taking shuddering breaths despite her attempt to quiet herself. She gripped the steering wheel tighter and didn't bother to wipe her face anymore. How are kids always able to see things clearly even through the complications of life? How are they always able to see things as they truly are and as they should be? Why is innocence gradually slaughtered by age? Why is the world so messed up?

Zach and Gray shared uneasy looks. The sight of their strong, stubborn aunt immersed in sobs was enough to silence the two of them. Tentatively, Gray patted his aunt's back until her sobs subsided partially. Why can't Aunt Claire just admit that she loves Owen, go back and get him, and we can all drive to the control room? The young nephew didn't understand that relationships were not that simple, especially Claire's relationships.

"I'm so sorry, guys," Claire whispered softly. She kept one hand on the wheel and reached back with her other one to hold Gray's hand. Zach furrowed his brow in confusion. There was something that continued to pop in his mind. He wondered if his aunt had already thought about it, but he decided to say it anyway.

"Aunt Claire?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"If Owen was the one driving the ambulance, do you think he would ever leave you?"

There was a long, uncomfortable silence until Gray blurted out his honest answer, though the question hadn't been directed toward him. "Owen would never leave you, Aunt Claire! He'd drag you into the ambulance with him and both of you would be tangled up together in the front!"

Zach choked. His dirty mind twisted Gray's innocent comment into a vaguely sexual one. He decided not to comment on it, however, because of the somber situation. For once in his life, the cheeky teenager didn't wish to horrify his aunt by rubbing her love life in her face. Especially since her love life was now on the line. Owen's life was on the line. People say that you never fully appreciate someone until that person is gone... Damn right.

Claire slowed the ambulance down to a bumpy stop, her heart racing and her mind spinning wildly with a sea of ideas, of things she should have done but didn't. My boys are right. I was wrong to do what I did to Owen, someone who carried me out of the waters before I drowned. Someone who risked his life to help me find my nephews. Someone who shielded me with his own body against the Indominus. Someone who comforted me when I was at my lowest, and laughed alongside me when I was at my highest.

Claire set her jaw determinedly. "Change of plans, boys. We're going back to drag Owen into the ambulance, whether he chooses to come with us willingly or not."

Immediately, Zach and Gray grinned and hooted. The mood was lifted.

"Yeah!"

"Drive, Aunt Claire, drive!"

Claire veered the ambulance around and slammed down on the gas pedal, though she did hold back slightly due to the wet road. Her heart pounded in anticipation; she had never participated in anything so exciting yet so risky... besides her relationship with Owen, that is.

As Claire approached the Innovation Center once more, she was able to hear echoing roars, screeches, and gunshots despite the intense drumming of the rain. Oh, God. Please let him be okay. I know I've wished for this at least a million times today, but I will wish it another million times if that's what it takes to keep him safe.

"Where is he?" Gray whispered fearfully, squinting at the windshield. Claire shook her head to quiet him as she stopped the ambulance under a few trees that provided them some shelter to the rain.

Thump.

The Indominus was nearby, roaring madly. Claire could make out her outline against the rain. With a small gasp, she realized that there were two raptors on top of her, biting and clawing at her back. The hybrid stumbled a few steps forward and knocked down a lamp post with her tail. It slammed onto the ground only a few feet from Claire and her nephews. Gray let out a cry, which was quickly silenced by Zach.

Claire's eyes flitted nervously across the entire scene, searching for the person who mattered most to her. Where are you, Owen? Where are you?

Bang! Bang!

Suddenly, a dark figure came into view. He was firing shots at the Indominus with deadly aim. Moving in sync with the raptors, he ensured that the shots can nowhere close to them as they continued their attack high above the ground. The Indominus swung her tail in his direction, and he dodged the blow by throwing himself onto the ground.

"Owen," Claire breathed. She managed a watery smile, knowing that he was still alive. Zach and Gray let out sighs of relief, though they flinched when Owen hit the ground.

Owen remained crouched on the ground for another second before cautiously standing. That's when he caught sight of a familiar vehicle. Oh, my God. Claire? It can't be. She's supposed to be at the control room by now. He stared through the windshield and found himself gazing into a beautiful pair of emerald eyes. He stumbled back and almost dropped his rifle.

"Owen!" Claire cried. She clasped her hands tightly, fighting the urge to laugh and cry all at once. She placed her hands on the windshield, wishing desperately to rid herself of the thin layer of glass that was separating her from her lover.

Owen couldn't help the lopsided-boyish-love-struck grin from growing on his face. She came back for me. She really came back. She's here. This is real. I'm not dreaming. And that's the beauty of it. She's actually here.

Echo's bloodcurdling screech dragged him away from his thoughts. He spun around, ready to enter the battle with renewed hope. But before he turned away from the ambulance, he looked back into Claire's eyes, making sure that she was staring right back at him. Never in sixty five million years would Owen forget the look of bleeding love painted on Claire's face.
_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!