Chapter 36: Proving Love

The large ferry balanced delicately on the water's surface. It bobbed with every gentle wave of the ocean. Beside it, a long queue had formed on the dock. The park visitors couldn't have been more eager to leave the island behind and never glance back. A few, however, were more reluctant to leave this place that they had called home for quite some time.

Claire stared somberly at the vast horizon line, realizing that this would be the first time in years that she would set foot beyond the island. She chewed on the inside of her cheek to prevent the tears in her eyes from cascading down. As the line inched forward, she was being brought farther and farther from a past of security and order. And closer and closer to a future of uncertainty and hardship.

"Stop stressing, Claire. Just don't think about it anymore."

A steady voice startled her for a moment and she turned around sharply.

"I'm not stressing," Claire whispered, despite the fact that she was shaking uncontrollably. Why does he have to keep bringing it up? Why can't he leave me alone? Why does it matter to him whether I'm stressing or not? Why?

Owen sighed and closed the small gap between them. "I really need you to relax. Please, Claire."

Claire squeezed her eyes shut ashamedly. He's the sweetest, the kind of sweet that I don't even deserve. She suddenly felt the stupid urge to cry. A single tear escaped and trickled down her cheek. Claire felt Owen wipe it tenderly away with his calloused thumb. I don't want to leave, but I know I have to. There's no other way around this mess. But I don't want to.

Whether she wanted to leave or not, Claire didn't have much of a choice. Karen and Scott had booked a room in a hotel on a nearby island. Their plan was to stay there for a few nights and recuperate before taking the plane back to Wisconsin, where they lived. Being the protective sister that she was, Karen had insisted that Claire (and Owen, of course) hitched a ride with them to the island and later to Wisconsin, where the new couple could "start their lives anew," as Karen put it.

Claire followed Karen and the rest of her family into the ferry, passing rows and rows full of battered visitors. Luckily, none of them recognized her as the Senior Assets Manager. She noticed, however, with a small smile, that Owen never let go of her waist until she sat down tiredly in one of the four-by-four seats. The two boys and Scott plopped down in the row just in front of her, followed by Karen.

"Claire, we'll be in the row in front of you, okay?" Karen informed her sister as she set down her purse.

Claire nodded and glanced drowsily at her sister. She was surprised to see the concern written on her face.

"Try to get some sleep, sweetie," Karen whispered. "You look exhausted. Do you need anything?"

"Don't worry; I'll take care her. She'll be fine after some rest," Owen reassured the older sister when Claire didn't answer. Karen nodded gratefully before turning around to minister to her boys' injuries.

Claire settled back in her seat and closed her eyes. The rocking of the boat was making her feel sickeningly queasy, but she decided not to comment on it out of fear of alarming everyone around her. She despised it when people fussed over her as if she were some irresponsible young toddler. I'm a damn adult; I can handle these kinds of things by myself. But then, I couldn't handle the park... Oh, God.

Owen wrapped an arm around Claire's shoulder and gently adjusted the blanket. She shifted sleepily so that her face was buried in his chest. Never mind the heavy stench of sweat or the metallic odors of blood that were radiating off of him. He made her feel rather safe. While in his arms, she was able to let out a long sigh and calm her heart for a brief minute. But her head hurt and her stomach felt strange, and she couldn't properly relax.