Chapter 21: I Can't Wait

Claire led Owen back to the Jeep, where her nephews were waiting anxiously. The minute they caught sight of the couple, their faces lit up.

"Owen! Owen, you're alive!" Gray yelled in immense relief as Owen opened the driver's door.

"God, what happened out there? What took so long? What ever happened to 'I'll be back in half a minute,' Aunt Claire?" Zach snapped. His rough tone disguised his genuine concern for his aunt.

Claire climbed into her seat and turned to her nephews, running a hand through Gray's messy hair. "I am so sorry, guys. You see, Owen was getting attacked by this Dimorphodon and-"

"What? Is he okay? Owen, are you okay?" Gray asked frantically.

Owen smiled at this, touched by the concern. "Yeah, buddy. I'm fine. Just a bit banged up."

"Uh, Owen..." Zach said. "I think you're more than 'a bit banged up.'" He gestured to Owen's chest. The fabric of his blue shirt was stained with dark red.

Owen glanced down and his eyes widened at the sight of the stain near the top of his shirt. It was then that he became aware of the searing pain. He clenched his jaw.

"Damn it! It must've been from the damn dinosaur's claws," he cursed almost inaudibly under his breath as he fumbled with his shirt.

Immediately, Claire removed his hands from his shirt. "You're making it worse," she sighed.

"Well, what am I supposed to do? This is my most favorite vest!" Owen snapped.

Dismissing the fact that her nephews were watching closely, Claire placed a finger to his lips to silence him, much to his surprise.

"Firstly, I need you to shut up," she said seriously. Owen cracked a smile despite the pain.

"Alright. I'm shutting up now," he quipped. Claire rolled her eyes, though she gazed at him fondly.

"Whatever. Can you unbutton the top part of your shirt? We need to stop the bleeding."

Owen raised an eyebrow. "You sure about that? I don't want to accidentally melt you by half undressing myself, especially when you're about to start this gruesome operation."

"Shut up and do what I tell you to do. And you're not half undressing. Not in front of everyone in the Jeep."

"Right. We'll save that for the bedroom." Owen fumbled with the first few buttons. He revealed the wound on the top of his chest with a wince.

"Honestly, Owen. I don't know what you were even thinking to go out there alone," Claire chastised him as she inspected the gash. It wasn't very deep and looked worse than it really was.

"I wasn't thinking," Owen admitted with a shrug. Claire rolled her eyes. Of all the millions of men in this entire world to fall in love with, it had to be this idiot!

"We need to stop the bleeding. Do you have anything?" she asked him. Owen shook his head. Claire sighed. Her gaze fell upon her torn skirt. Well, it's already ripped. And it's not like I plan to ever wear it again... She tore off a section of the fabric near the tattered hem.

Owen stared at her while her nephews flinched visibly at the sound. I didn't know Aunt Claire had the guts to rip her expensive work clothes in pieces, even in dire situations.

"Stop looking at me like that," Claire said as she placed the piece of cloth onto Owen's chest and pressed down carefully to staunch the flow of blood. Owen grimaced.

"Sorry. I'll try to be careful," Claire said softly. Owen nodded and shifted in his seat to better look into her beautiful eyes. Just then, her phone began to ring. She kept one hand on Owen's wound while she reached for her phone with the other.