Chapter 2: Like Grains of Dust

Claire's eyes widened visibly at his innocently dirty comment, and she simply stared at him. Her throat constricted, shocked.

"Absolutely not!" she finally managed to sputter, her heart beating like thunder now. Owen laughed and went inside, leaving a very flustered Claire in the car. She let out a long sigh and leaned her head back on the headrest.

When she was sure he had closed the door, Claire allowed her thoughts to pour out at last. Why did he say that? Does he like me? Well, he was flirting with me this whole time, right? Shouldn't that say something? But he hates me, doesn't he? And I hate him, too, don't I? Oh, God, oh, God. What do I tell him when he comes back? Should I pretend like nothing happened? Or should I joke with him? But, damn it, I can never come up with non-cheesy ways to joke! Oh, God.

But as she ranted on and on with her questions, she realized that she was lacking something more important: the answers. Claire moaned softly. Relationships had always been a hassle for her, which was why she had chosen to distance herself from her family and had not made many meaningful friends in the park.

Her older sister, Karen, would know how to approach this situation. She was just that kind of person. Then an idea struck her like lightning in the middle of a dark storm. It illuminated the lightbulb in her mind. Can't I just call Karen? If I make it sound like I'm calling her to tell her that her sons are having fun here, she wouldn't suspect anything, right?

Claire pulled her phone out and found her sister's contact info. She felt a bloom of shame when she realized that while most sisters would know each other's phone number by heart, she was still having to look hers up. With trembling fingers, she dialed Karen's number and held her breath.

"Hey, Claire!" She let out her breath.

"Hey, Karen. I'm... uh... calling to let you know that the-the boys are having lots of fun," she stuttered. She checked the front door to ensure that Owen was still inside. How long did it take someone to use the bathroom? Not long. Suddenly, she panicked.

"Karen?" she interrupted. "I need to ask for your advice. It's kind of urgent."

"What is it, hon?" Claire crossed her fingers.

"Okay, so I need to drive this guy to one of our paddocks and I think he might be flirting with me but I'm not sure and I don't know how to react to that because I don't want things to be awkward or anything but-" Claire rambled, twisting her watch around her wrist nervously.

"Wait, you're with a guy?! Who? Who?" Karen squealed like a high school girl whose bestie had just been asked out. Claire sighed- she had been worried that her sister would overreact and here she was, completely overreacting.

"Kaaaaaren..."

"Is he hot? Who is this guy?" Karen's voice quivered with excitement. Claire rolled her eyes.

"He's the raptor trainer I went out with almost a year ago," she said tiredly.

"Oh, my God! What's his name? Austin, isn't it?"

"It's actually Owen. Owen Grady." And despite herself, a tiny smile crept onto her lips. Claire had never been more relieved that Karen couldn't see her face now. She glanced at the rear view mirror and stared at her reflection intently, as if the mirror of life would eventually ripple and distort it.

"Hmm... I think you still like him... Don't you? Don't you?" True, Karen couldn't study her facial expression, but she could hear the subtle bashfulness in Claire's voice. It waved a red flag in front of her face. She waited eagerly for Claire's answer.

"KAREN!" Claire gasped, flushing from the tips of her ears down to her neck. I don't like him. Not one bit. She wiped her sweaty palms on her seat and peeked at Owen's front door. "Karen, just listen to me!"

"Alright, I'm listening. Are you going to confess something?" Karen asked cheekily. "Because then I'll need to get it on recording!" Claire swallowed hard.