Chapter 14: A Desire to Protect

The rumbling sounds of a car engine filled the air and then gradually faded away. Claire's heart skipped a beat. Could it be her nephews? She shared a look of hopeful anticipation with Owen.

"Do you think it's them?" she asked, slightly out of breath from the constant running. Her nude pumps had become brown, and her skirt was ripped up midway up her thigh. She knew her once-gorgeous hair was now filthy and matted.

"Could be them," Owen replied. "C'mon, we're getting close to the old garage. That's probably where they just were." He held his rifle warily as he led Claire toward a mossy, crumbling building. She immediately recognized a dirty gray sweater lying on the dirt. Owen bent down to pick it up.

"Is this one of theirs?" he asked. Claire nodded and he set the sweater down. He set his rifle down and let it lean on the wall.

Both of them turned to survey the garage. An old Jeep that looked like it hadn't been used for several years was parked along one wall of the garage. Beside it, there was a vacant space where another Jeep had once resided. Claire had a hunch that, somehow, her nephews had managed to start up the missing Jeep and drive off in it.

Sure enough, there were tire tracks along the ground leading from inside the garage. To her immense relief, the tracks were following a dusty road that would lead back to the resort. If her nephews stayed on the road, they would arrive at the resort in around fifteen minutes. She let out a sigh and ran her fingers through her knotted hair.

How did they get it started? Aren't these Jeeps, like, two decades old? And didn't Zach fail his driving test? I could've sworn Karen ranted to me about that half a year ago. God, what if he crashes the car? Oh, my God. What would I tell Karen?

"That road leads straight back to the park. They should be fine..." Claire breathed, trying to convince herself. Owen nodded at her distractedly. He was busy fumbling with wires and opening up the Jeep's hood with his brow furrowed in deep concentration. His fingers were crossed that his motorcycle skills would be sufficient knowledge for him to be able to start this battered Jeep up.

How did those boys manage to start one of these up? How old are they anyway? He leaned under the hood to examine the engine, clumsily dropping the tools he had found. The wrench, screwdriver, and pliers landed on the dirt.

"Damn! Claire, can you get me the wrench?"

Claire nodded and stepped away from the tire tracks. She crouched down and handed it to Owen mechanically, her mind still on her nephews. When she turned away, she heard a faintly amused moan behind her.

"This is a screwdriver, Claire. The wrench is over there, halfway under the table," Owen said in mild exasperation. He concealed his smirk. The high and mighty Senior Assets Manager doesn't even know what a wrench is! Claire snapped out of her daze and blushed profusely. She grabbed the wrench and gave it to Owen quickly.

"Sorry. I'm such an idiot," she sighed. I just can't focus on anything right now; I'm too worried. Owen wasn't able to hide his grin anymore.

"You know, you really are the cutest weirdo I've ever met. And by now, I've met a lot of pretty strange people," he remarked. His comment didn't help with Claire's spreading blush. She busied herself with gathering the rest of the fallen tools and handing them to Owen.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" she asked. Owen shrugged, but before he could answer, there was a loud thump. The ceiling of the garage shook and small clouds of dust drifted down from its cracks.

Claire gasped and scurried frantically behind Owen, who had dropped his tools. His hands found her slender waist, and he dragged her in front of the Jeep, not bothering to close the hood. There was another thump.

A cold fear rose in Owen's chest when his eyes fell upon his rifle, leaning on the opposite wall. He peeked his head cautiously around the side of the Jeep. To his horror, a massive foot slammed down on the ground at the open entrance of the garage. It was covered in thick scales and furnished with four gleaming claws.

Owen drew back and fought to remain calm without his rifle. At his side, Claire was trembling and squeezing her eyes shut tightly. Seeing her like this suddenly awakened a new desire in Owen's chest. A desire to protect her, to put her before himself.

He shifted so his body would shield hers and felt her arms wrapping around his waist as he moved silently. It'll be fine. It'll be fine. We're covered in poop. She won't smell us. We'll be fine. Owen repeated these thoughts in his head in an attempt to stay calm.

Claire buried her face into his back. The horrid odors of dinosaur droppings mixed with sweat were overwhelming, but she was able to pick out another scent among them. It smelled very "Owen-y" and soothed her pounding heart. We're going to make it. We'll be alright.

Thump.

Claire clung to Owen tighter, her hands digging into his vest and her body pressed against his. He craned his neck to catch a glimpse of her and again felt that sense of strong affection for her.

Suddenly, blood-stained teeth and dirty scales came into view. The Indominus stretched her muzzle into the garage and inhaled deeply. The droppings overpowered all other scents, but the Indominus's acute sense of smell was able to detect that something was fishy.

She withdrew from the garage and left Claire and Owen in a state of temporary relief. For a few moments, all they could do was take deep breaths in order to assuage their pounding hearts and the fear that was threatening to devour them.

Claire relaxed her arms around Owen's waist and rested her cheek on his back. His heart was still madly hammering in his chest. But the Indominus was gone now. They were safe.

Then, without any warning, the ceiling of the garage collapsed on them.
_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!