Chapter 15: Pretty Good

Claire screamed and covered her head as the entire ceiling caved in. Owen hunched instinctively over her, his brawny arms shielding her upper body. He clenched his jaw as several hefty wood planks plummeted on top of him. What the hell is happening?

Everything after became a fast blur. The Indominus plunged her head through the disintegrating ceiling and roared loudly. She clawed at the two frightened people under the rubble, but the wood planks and debris sheltered them well. One of her claws raked a large gash in the ground while another shredded a plank in half.

Claire squeezed her eyes shut, her screams muffled against Owen's chest. She waited for the inevitable, waited for one of the Indominus's claws to slice through her or Owen. This can't be the end! Please, please, don't let this be the end!

The frustrated hybrid roared again as she stretched her neck down to catch one of the humans in her jaws. But she could only force part of her head through the large breach of the ceiling. She snarled, unwilling to surrender her victims. Suddenly, the Indominus ceased her attacks and withdrew from the hole in the ceiling, hesitating and craning her head up.

There was a faint noise that was being intensified by the second. It sounded like a machine gun. Claire forced herself to stop shrieking in order to listen better. She heard the Indominus growl unsurely. She felt Owen's muscular body pressed so close to hers. She refused to open her eyes. If death was approaching, she'd rather not watch it come.

Her thoughts raced faster than her heart. Why is she stopping? Where are my nephews? Did she smell my nephews? Oh, my God. Is Owen hurt? Am I hurt? I can't even feel my legs. Wait, I can't feel anything. Oh, what's happening? Claire's head spun and she began to see black spots everywhere.

"Claire. Claire!" Before the darkness completely consumed her, she heard a voice above her. Owen shoved the wood planks off of them, ignoring the splinters that they inflicted on his hands, before cupping Claire's face in his gentle hands. Her eyes fluttered open and her breath was shallow.

"Breathe, Claire. She's gone. It was a helicopter. She's gone," Owen panted, brushing her bangs out of her eyes. He held her close, and they simply sat there together, their chests heaving. They had been only a few feet from death.

"Who... who's flying that thing?" Claire whispered. Owen shrugged.

"Probably ACU or someone like that," he replied shakily. Claire nodded.

"We should go before she returns," she said, shifting the wood planks aside and standing unsteadily. Owen placed a hand on her waist to support her before rising with a groan. He went to grab his rifle quickly before anything else happened.

"Are you okay?" Claire asked softly. She didn't normally show her feelings like this, but then again, this man had just shielded her from a dinosaur with his own body.

Owen raised his eyebrows at her, unaccustomed to her newfound concern for him. Before, she had rarely worried about anyone, and especially not him. She was finding ways to continually surprise him. Wow, she cares. She actually cares.

Claire was able to reading his mind easily and immediately became defensive. "What? I can't express my concern for you?" She crossed her arms and tilted her chin up, wishing she hadn't asked him anything in the first place. Owen smiled despite her glare and lifted his hands in surrender.

"I was just surprised that you would care. That's all," he said calmly. Unfortunately, Claire stiffened even more at this.

"Surprised that I'd care? What do you think I am? A robot?" she snapped as she ran her fingers through her hair, which was no longer straight due to the humidity.

"Sure, whatever. You're a robot with a temper then."

"Are you trying to piss me off? Because you're doing a great job if you are."

"Nah, I ain't trying here. You get pissed off so easily that there's no need to try." Owen quipped. He knew exactly which buttons to push to get a reaction out of her.

"Excuse me? I do not get pissed off easily! You just manage to really annoy every single person around you. It must be the only thing you're good at," Claire retorted. She bent down to adjust her stupid heels.

"I'm pretty good at flirting," Owen volunteered. Claire's cheeks went pink. God, he's very, very, very good at that. Not that I'd ever admit that to him.

"And you're pretty good at lying to yourself," she answered back, not missing a beat. Owen chuckled.

"You're a feisty one, Claire Dearing," he said with a smile.

"And don't you forget it." No longer that irritated at Owen, Claire accepted a quick kiss on her cheek. She giggled when she felt his rough stubble scrape against her skin. He pressed his lips against her tousled hair, his voice muffled.

"But just admit it: I'm pretty good at flirting," he whispered cheekily. Claire flushed and ducked away from his touch, but Owen held her in placed with his arms.

"Owen!" she gasped in surprise, though she actually didn't mind their close proximity anymore. She struggled against him.

"I'm not letting go until you admit that I'm pretty good at flirting!" Owen laughed. Claire wriggled helplessly in his firm grip.

"Owen..." she groaned. "We shouldn't be messing around right now." Owen shrugged carelessly.

"The sooner you admit it, the sooner we can start finding your nephews again," he said smugly. "It's all your choice."

"Ugh. Fine. Now let me go!" Claire said. At least she hadn't directly admitted that he was good at flirting. Owen rolled his eyes, catching on to what she was doing.

"Uh-uh. No way! You gotta say 'I'm pretty good at flirting' before I let you go. And even if you say that, I might choose not to let you go. Ever," he said, thoroughly enjoying her discomfort.

Claire shot him a dirty look.
_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!