Chapter 2: Gonna Be Trouble

Claire settled into her chair and covered a yawn. She had been touring Owen around the park for more than an hour and desperately needed a short break. He had insisted on ordering snacks for both of them, and though Claire was surprised by his unexpected chivalry, she certainly did not mind it. Besides, her spinning mind had been begging for a moment to rest since the tour started. There were too many emotions dancing around her, though she could only identify two of them.

Thorough exasperation was the first one. Owen Grady had no concept of time, not a care for professionalism, and not a sense of formality. During the tour, he had bugged Claire to see the baby Apatosauruses, despite the fact that they were already running late. Whenever he opened his mouth, Claire felt the urge not only to block her ears from his overly causal tone, but also to hurl him into the tank of the Mosasaurus.

The next emotion? It was more difficult to describe, harder to grasp, and almost impossible to put into words. Claire didn't know what was happening to her. When Owen had winked at her, her heart had skipped a beat unintentionally, almost like an instinct. When he had held the door open for her in another show of chivalry, she could feel her cheeks reddening. And when she had most certainly felt his hand against her back as he escorted her through the door, her heart had been racing. Racing.

What the heck is happening to me? Claire rarely blushed, and her heart would only beat quickly before an interview or a speech. Even then, nervousness was not a frequent feeling for her. I must be anxious about the dinner with my client tonight. Oh, gosh, is that even something worth worrying about? I mean, I've had countless meetings and dinners with different clients. My notes have been prepared since last week... I've already picked my outfit... I've made a reservation at the restaurant...

"Here you go."

Claire's thoughts were interrupted by the clattering of a tray on the table. The wonderful smell of pretzels wafted toward her. Owen set the food down before plopping into the chair across her.

"I can pay when we're done," Claire offered politely.

Owen shook his head with a good-natured smile. "That's alright. I already paid."

Claire was surprised. "You didn't have to."

"It's only fair. I mean, you're having to tour me around this whole island when you could be doing something else," Owen replied. He glanced up and down at Claire with a cheeky smirk. "Let me guess, you could be burying your nose in a textbook? Staring at endless documents and charts? Sitting in front of your computer all day? In those dainty little heels of yours?"

Claire's jaw dropped slightly at the playful insult. Immediately, she straightened her back, fueled by the indignation at being so disrespectfully snubbed by this man.

"Excuse me. If that's what you think of my position and my job, then it's even more obvious that you're new here."

Owen chuckled. "Easy there, I didn't mean to-"

"Don't 'easy there' me. As far as my position is concerned, I am your boss and you will answer to me," Claire snapped. 

"And if I don't?"

Claire reddened. This man does not know when to stop, does he? "Then I will gladly buy you a ticket for the next ferry leaving this island."

Owen raised his hands in surrender. "All right, all right. You win, boss."

Claire decided not to dignify that comment with a response though his lack of professionalism was pushing her to her limit. An uneasy silence fell between the two, and Claire, who usually knew exactly what to say, was unable to think of anything. She bit into her giant pretzel and kept a haughty scowl glued to her face. Owen glanced at her and could not help but find her annoyance cute.

"So... when did you start working here?" he asked casually to relieve some of the tension.

"About eight years ago."

"Oh, have you always been the Vice President of the park?"

Claire picked up the humor in his tone, and she shot him an exasperated look. "First, I am the Senior Assets Manager. Second, it's a complicated story, but I've held this position for about five years now."

Owen nodded. "You like to do anything on the weekends?"

"Oh, yes. My weekends are always packed. I have to prepare my notes for meetings and conferences. I have to collaborate with the lab about the potential creation of new assets, and sometimes ask about the condition of current assets. I have to check on how the other employees are doing and report to Mr. Masrani. I have to review finances and customer satisfaction rates and-"

Owen stopped her before she could unload her entire plan for the weekend. "I meant hobbies or things you do for fun."

Claire paused in mid-sentence before her cheeks turned pink. Oh, gosh. He probably thinks I'm some freakish workaholic, but I don't really have a choice! What a wonderful first impression. Nice one, Claire.

"Do you have any hobbies?" Owen asked nicely. Does she have no life?

Claire took her time to chew and swallow a piece of pretzel while he waited expectantly. Oh, dang it. What do I tell him? I mean, my schedule never allows for me to relax, and when I do, it's usually me on my phone or TV. Great. Now he'll think of me as a workaholic and a wimp.

"Well... I watch movies when I have time," she said weakly.

Owen nodded. "Well, maybe you can come over to my place one night. I love a good movie, too."

Claire flushed again. He wants me to come over to his apartment? To watch a movie? At night? With him? Her heart began to race for some reason.

"Which apartment do you live in?" She forced her voice to stay strong.

"Oh, I don't have an apartment. I'm living in a bungalow, you could say."

Claire nodded slowly. "Well, I appreciate the offer, but I don't know when I would be free to come over. I have a lot on my plate. It's rather overwhelming for me."

"That explains the itinerary, huh?" Owen questioned with a hidden smirk, slightly disappointed at the rejection.

Claire sighed and nodded. "Yes, I suppose it does."

Owen shrugged. "Nothing wrong with havin' a schedule. Especially when you're the Vice President of a park."

Despite everything, Claire found herself smiling at his words. Vice President, ha! He's such an idiot.

"Anyway, we should go back to the tour. I have a meeting after this," she said.

Owen nodded and stood from his chair, covering a yawn. Claire pushed her chair back and grabbed her purse. She tried not to notice the moment when his hand gently touched her back as he escorted her out of the restaurant. He was finding ways to surprise her again and again. How can someone be so disrespectful yet chivalrous at the same time? 

Claire was confused. Overwhelmed. She didn't know what to think of Owen anymore. I swear, he makes me want to jump off a cliff. But there's something about him that is rather entrancing. Captivating. Almost charming.

One thing's for sure: This is gonna be trouble.

_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!