Chapter 33: My Gentleman

Owen held his breath as the T-Rex lumbered around to face the raptors. Both parties were already seriously wounded, blanketed in red. Another fight would completely annihilate them. With his gun tightly clenched in his hands, he was prepared to defend his raptors if he needed to. I'm not losing anyone else today. Not if I can help it.

The large carnivore eyed her smaller allies with a suspicious stare. Blue cocked her head and made a submissive clicking noise in the back of her throat. Then, the T-Rex released a low rumble and plodded away, making her presence known through the shaking of the ground. Owen lowered his gun and let out a shuddering sigh of relief. They're safe.

Blue flitted her gaze to Owen, a mixed stare of hope and pain and trust. It was enough to break his heart. She had betrayed him and later returned to his side to save the park, all in less than a day. The raptor took a few hesitant steps toward her alpha, as if she was unsure of his forgiveness. 

"Blue..." he whispered. He stretched his hand out in front of her, just inches from her scarred muzzle. When she reached forward and nudged his hand, it was understood that she, along with her pack mates, had been forgiven. But there was still a price to pay.

Owen stroked his lead raptor regretfully before gently pushing her away from him. You need to leave. You can't stay with me anymore. She drew back with a bewildered expression, further cracking Owen's heart.

"You can't stay with me anymore, Blue," he said, his voice cracking. "Go on, get out of here."

Blue cocked her head before hesitantly taking a few steps backward. She glanced one more time at Owen, her alpha and the father figure in her life, and disappeared into the night. One by one, the other raptors followed her indecisively, each one regarding Owen with a look of remorse. In a matter of seconds, a message of the new authority had been presented and accepted by all four raptors. Owen was leaving them in the leadership of Blue.

He watched his beloved pack flee with his own eyes. They had been his family since their birth a few years ago. They had been his everything, the first thing that popped into his head when he awoke and the last thing that lingered in his mind when he fell asleep. They had been his purpose in life, but perhaps life had another plan for him. Perhaps he was meant to be there for someone else now.

Owen returned to Zach and Gray as soon as the raptors were gone. Claire lay crumpled on the ground, her head in Gray's lap. Owen knelt down beside her and gently shifted her onto his chest.

"You boys alright?" he asked as he combed his fingers through Claire's knotted hair.

"Yeah," Zach replied breathlessly. Gray simply nodded with large eyes. Both boys were still terrified despite the fact that they were safe already.

"Is Aunt Claire okay?" Gray piped up concernedly.

Owen opened his mouth, but at that moment, Claire began to stir. Her eyes fluttered open and she found herself staring up into Owen's green eyes. She tried to sit up, slightly dizzy and baffled as to what was going on. However, Owen placed his hands on her arms and gently pinned her to him. He didn't want her shifting unnecessarily in her current state, though her injuries didn't seem extremely serious. Claire opened her mouth.

"Shhhh," Owen whispered. "You're alright. It's over. It's all over."

Claire tensed suddenly. "Our boys? Where-"

"We're here, Aunt Claire. We're fine," Gray said quickly. He patted her shoulder in his innocently sweet manner.

Claire relaxed visibly. "Thank God."

"But are you okay, Aunt Claire?" Gray asked in distress. He had been incredibly worried for his aunt after she passed out. Little did he know how much his concern meant to her. She smiled weakly.