A Visit to The Sand

The number between 4 and 6 years later....

A rainbow colored dragonet was smashed into the sand, and above him, a similar, shimmering dragonet, just a few years older, laughed and ran off.

The little dragonet picked his head and let out a screech.

"ROSELLA!!!" He yelled. "THAT WASN'T FAIR!!!!"

"Life ain't fair, Teal!" The elder dragonet called to him.

A third dragonet giggled at his siblings and poked at the sand with his talons. This was the first time he'd ever experienced sand before.

"Why are we even here?" Teal grumbled, picking himself up. "Mother won't like it if she finds out we went by ourselves."

"Well then we don't TELL her," Rosella explained. "Honestly, Te, I thought you were supposed to be the smart one."

"I'm not the smart one! I'm the only one with common sense!" He objected. He kicked a bit of sand towards the youngest dragonet. "Mako can be the smart one."

"Mako can't even fly yet." Rosella insisted. "He's too little to be smart."

"Nu!" Mako piped up. "I's sart!" Rosella grinned at him.

"Sure you are, Mako." She declared. Mako beamed and went back to inspecting the sand.

"I'll ask again. WHY are we here?" Teal demanded.

"YOU'RE here because you're an annoying little pest and you followed me." She offered.

"You were leading my baby brother into a dark cave. OF COURSE I'm gonna follow you."

"Hey, he's my baby brother too! I wouldn't do anything to hurt him- or you."

"You literally just shoved me into the sand."

"You were the one that attacked me. You deserved it."

"Why did you bring Mako to the Sand Kingdom? Mother is going to have a fit of he's not back by suntime, which, judging by the sky," He paused. "Is in like half an hour."

"I wanted him to feel what sand was like." She explained, scanning the skies.

"Liar." Teal proclaimed. "You're meeting Parch and just got stuck babysitting."

"I didn't get stuck babysitting- I wanted Parch to meet him! He never gets to see baby dragonets inside the Stronghold."

"Oh my moons, you are SO OBSESSED WITH HIM."

"AM NOT!"

"ARE TOO!"

"And what, like you don't have a thing for Aurora?"

"Rose, EVERYBODY has a thing for Aurora- have you seen her?"

"You LUUUUUV HER."

"Do not! That's like saying Mako has a crush on Wisteria!" Mako looked up at his name, and smiled.

"Wisty is fun." He insisted.

"See? Mako likes Wisteria, which means you TOTALLY like Aurora."

"Rose, only blind dragons DON'T like Aurora."

"Are we debating Aurora's hotness again?" A new voice asked. Rosella turned and grinned at the sight of her friend.

Parch was the only obvious hybrid besides Sunny and Boysen that lived in the Stronghold. His father was a Nightwing Seawing hybrid, and his mother was a Sandwing. The combination gave Parch gold scales so dark, they almost looked orange, with glimmering star patterns lining his wings like drops of starlight, and sparkling green eyes that could melt anyone's heart.

Including Rosella's.

Rosella herself was a deep cerulean blue, with colorful Rainwing scales dotting her like multicolored freckles. She had blue eyes, with the silver shine of her father's family.

Teal, unlike his name, was more of a Rainwing. He had a faint shadow of the Seawings pattern on his scales, and a powerful tail, but other then that and his utter lack of venom, he had no resemblance to a hybrid.

Mako was the oddball. He had pale bluish-gray scales that he could change if he wanted, but he rarely did, and his eyes were bright green with flecks of silver. He looked more like an Icewing hybrid gone wrong, if you asked, but no one would dare to say that out loud. Mako was the baby, not just of Rosella and Teal's family- but if the entire rainforest royalty.

Parch smiled at the little dragonet and Mako quickly raced over to hide behind his sister.

"It's good to see you again, Sellie," Parch insisted.

"You too, Arch." She replied. Teal fought back a groan. He personally hated Parch. He didn't like how much Rosella loved him, or how nice he always acted. He seemed too nice, if you asked Teal, but no one else shared that opinion, of course.

Teal was determined though. He was sure he'd find out what Parch was hiding one of these days.

"You must be Mako," the Sandwing hybrid insisted, kneeling down to his level. Mako whimpered slightly. He didn't like new dragons much.

"It's okay, Mako" Rosella declared. "This is Parch. He's my friend."

"He's adorable."

"We know."

"His scales are so interesting though. Where's the gray come from?" Parch asked.

"Aunt Ande says he got all the recessive traits," Rosella explained. "Dad said he just got more of the Nightwing side then the rest of us."

"Cool." Parch waved, and made a silly face. Mako giggled and parts of his scales went pink.

"The pinker he gets, the happier he is." Teal offered.

"I wish the same could be said about Sandwing dragonets." Parch offered. "It's more just avoiding poisonous tails that are everywhere."

"Oh, you poor thing." Rosella said sarcastically. "You suffer so much in your palace." Parch scowled.

"I hate that palace and you know it."

"Would you rather put on a flower crown and come live with me?" She teased. Before he could respond, someone flew overhead and Parch groaned.

"Some days, Sellie, yes." He sighed. "I gotta go."

"Have fun." She offered.

"Oh, SO much fun." He declared before glancing at Teal. "He gonna kill  me if I kiss you goodbye?"

"Yes." Teal declared.

"Nah, he's harmless." Rosella declared.

"Wonderful." Parch grinned cheekily, kissed Rosella on the cheek and headed for the sky. "Later Sellie!" He called before flying off.

"Still hate him." Teal grumbled.

"Still love him." Rosella objected, picking up Mako and heading for the tunnel back to the rainforest.