Monsters

The group had stopped to rest for a moment, just to give their wings a quick break.

A break was not something Parch wanted to take. So while Teal and Tsunami dove for a small stream and Mora simply dropped to the ground, he paced. 

Ten steps forward, turn around, ten steps forward. Back and forth and back and forth until there was a decently worn path on the ground.

"Parch," Boysen started, interrupting his pacing. "It's going to be okay."

"You don't know that," Parch objected, returning to his pacing.

"Yes I do."

"Sellie could be dead." 

"Think for a moment." Boysen advised. "Really think about it. If you care about Rosella as much as you say, then you would know if she was dead. So you tell me- is she?"

Parch stopped pacing, searching himself. He thought he knew what his father meant. Rosella had somehow managed to take over his heart. She kept it beating and warm. If she was gone, well, then Parch imagined his heart would go cold as ice.

"No," He whispered. "She's not dead."

"Exactly." Boysen declared. 

"But that doesn't mean she's okay." Parch retorted. Look at Fiji. Sure, he was alive, but in what state? A dragon without wings was like a fish without gills. How could you be expected to survive?

"We will find her, Parch." Boysen promised. "And you'll make her okay again. You have that power." The words were comforting, but a wavering expression still lingered on Parch's face.

And then suddenly something snapped nearby, and Parch's ears pricked up.

"Did you hear that?" He asked. They all stopped, listening.

And then a wiry Nightwing stepped smugly into the clearing.

"Hey," Deathbringer offered.

"Why the-" Teal started.

"I snuck out." Deathbringer said proudly. "That'll show Glory." They all simultaneously facetaloned.

"Glory is going to murder you." Tsunami declared. "This should be pretty entertaining, actually."

"She won't kill me," Deathbringer insisted. 

"You just keep telling yourself that." Teal offered. Uncertainty snuck into the ex-assassin's eyes.

"....She wouldn't actually kill me, would she?" He asked. Glory was unpredictable, and Deathbringer WAS on pretty thin ice already.

"It was nice knowing you, buddy." Teal declared.

****

So the ex-assassin joined them on their journey, until finally the group landed in front of an unfamiliar, slightly charred building.

"Look!" Teal insisted, his talon pointing up at the top of the building, where a familiar symbol was carved in.

تلوث هجين

"Hybrid Pollution." Parch confirmed. He glanced over at Boysen, who stared up at the building with an uneasy, regretful expression.

"Do you have any idea what we're up against in there?" Deathbringer asked. 

"Monsters." Boysen whispered. "Cruel, bloodthirsty monsters."

"That'a helpful." Mora commented. "Let's go!" 

They headed forward, and Boysen glanced at the group.

"Ever fight an Icewing before?" He questioned.

And they stepped inside.