One Good Animus

Prism awoke in a cell.

Outside the bars of it stood Joy, Kelp, Rainkeeper, Apple, Ember, Ander, Wren, Raven, Shore, Orange, Rosella, and Parch.

Prism growled and clawed at the cell bars, reaching her talons out as far as they would stretch to try and claw at Joy.

"You're saying an animus did this?" Joy questioned.

"That is correct," Ander nodded.

"Cyan, we think," Wren piped up. "We thought he might be one of Coral's grandsons."

"Cyan," Kelp echoed, thinking. "I think Cerulean had a son named Cyan." Kelp kept track of the Seawing Royal family's family tree, seeing as someone had to look out for all the potential Seawing animuses that would come along due to Coral's numerous children. Auklet and Anemone had whole teams of dragons keeping track of it all. 

"I've already sent a messenger to Anemone about it," Joy said. "Hopefully she or Turtle will be able to tell us something about all this," 

"And how to fix it," Apple declared. "I want Prism back,"

"I asked Stardust if he could do anything about it," Orange insisted. "But he said that someone already appeared to be helping her, or Cyan would've likely killed her by now." Ember shuddered at the thought.

"But who's the one helping her?" Rosella questioned.

"Sacré bleu! You did NOT make this place easy to find." A new voice declared. They all whipped around immediately as a dragon faded into view.

He was a dragonet, around Aria and Rosella's age, they guessed. He was a soft shade of blue green with bright green eyes. He had the build of a Rainwing, but the gills of a Seawing.

"Who are you?" Rainkeeper demanded.

"Ah, where are my manners?" He smiled and held out a talon. "My name is Aspen, and I'm here to prevent everything from going to shit."

"Well then you're a bit late," Rosella commented. His smile didn't even waver.

"Yes, I'm aware of that, Rosella, although I have tried to help from afar." They stopped, eyes widening.

"How the hell do you know her name?" Parch demanded.

"Oh relax, Parch, I know all of you." Aspen declared. He walked over to the cell and tapped on the bars. Prism glared at him in return. "I learned it from her."

"You better back up and start explaining yourself." Ember declared. "Preferably now."

"Of course, this is all very confusing, I understand." Aspen insisted. "You see, I'm an animus. Not the one who cursed her!" He added, noting their angered expressions. "I'm the one who's been trying to help. My cousin cursed her, you see. He's quite bitter about some family drama and decided to take it out on a royal dragon he could easily manipulate, and I'm afraid Prism fell into that trap. I tried to warn her and stop my cousin from taking over her mind completely, but eventually he won control. I apologize for that. I've tried to lift the spell on my own, but..."

"Curses have to be lifted by those that placed them." Ander said.

"Exactly! But since you're all so smart and are figuring out my cousin's entire plan, his new one was to have Prism become queen and either imprison or kill you all." They blinked.

"Wonderful," Joy commented. "So now Prism's hellbent on murdering us until we can stop the curse?"

"That is the general idea, yes."

"Wait, your cousin," Wren started. "It's Cyan, isn't it?"

"Ding ding, we have a winner." Aspen tapped his snout. "Right on the nose, if you please."

"So does that mean you're also related to Coral?"

"Correct."

"Who's your parents?" Joy questioned. Aspen smiled.

"Why, old friends, of course." He grinned. 

"I should've guessed," Joy commented. "An energetic animus unable to stop smiling? That's a dead giveaway."

"Yep!"

".....I'm still confused," Raven blinked.

"My parents are Turtle and Kinkajou," Aspen declared. "Better?"