Lift The Curse

They eventually got bored sitting around, waiting for Cyan to show up. Joy left first, Rainkeeper and Kelp following her. She was queen, after all. She had things to do, places to be, even if she didn't want to miss a potentially epic animus showdown.

Shore and Orange left shortly after, followed reluctantly by Apple and Ember. They had jobs to do as well, and somebody had to send an update to Queen Auklet about Aspen's interference.

Raven and Wren grew bored and snuck off together, to no one's surprise, leaving Aspen alone with Rosella and Parch.

"So how come you don't live in the rainforest?" Rosella asked. She knew Kinkajou had loved the forest, and that Turtle had never quite been treated well in the Sea Kingdom. They would've been welcome in the rainforest, but instead Turtle and Kinkajou had just vanished.

"Privacy, I suppose," Aspen shrugged. "Father feared more dragons might try to manipulate him due to his powers, like Queen Coral tried to. He's a very solitary dragon, doesn't like being surrounded by folks, you see, so he wanted somewhere quiet and my mother was all willing to follow him wherever he went."

"If he wanted quiet, I doubt he should've brought Kinkajou with him," Parch smirked. The Rainwing they had heard of never seemed to be associated with the word quiet. Aspen grinned, his smile tweaking impishly.

"Well, an island does get boring after awhile. You need to have someone to entertain you." Aspen shrugged. "This is my first time in the rainforest actually. I see why mother loves it."

"It's a loveable place," Rosella declared.

"And you'll rule it someday," Parch said, grinning at her. Aspen chuckled.

"If only you two could hear the thoughts Prism has had about you. They're quite... loud."

"That's Prism," Rosella declared. "She finds a ship, she never shuts up about it." As if stirred by the sound of her name, Prism started clawing at the cell bars, trying to reach them through it. She started pounding on the bars, growling as Parch and Rosella frowned.

Aspen turned and nodded.

"Hello cousin," He commented as Cyan emerged from the hallway.

"Aspen," Cyan scowled, examining him. "That's quite a protection spell you've got on you." Aspen dusted off his scales, looking flattered.

"It tis, isn't it?" He agreed. "My father's creation, actually. Always has a way with words, that one. No loopholes to be found."

"Well, we'll see how well it protects you when I rip you to shreds." Aspen held up a talon, shaking his head.

"About that darling detail. I was oh so hoping you could be a dear and lift Prism's curse before dismembering me?"

"Why would I do that? Honestly Aspen, I thought you were supposed to be the smart one." Aspen nodded and tapped his snout.

"Fair point, fair point. Just figured I'd ask nicely first. Father always tried to teach me good manners." Then Aspen jumped forward, grabbing Cyan by the throat and slamming him against the wall. "Mother taught me how to be persuasive though." 

Cyan clawed at the hold around his neck, but Aspen was strong.

"Lift the curse," Aspen told him.

"Or what? You gonna kill me and doom her forever?" Aspen tilted his head.

"It will be most enjoyable to watch all the oxygen drain out of your body, yes. So unless you want to be a dying fish on land, I suggest you be a dear and do as you're told."

"How about you let me go first."

"Fraid I can't do that."

"Really?" Cyan tilted his head. "Not even to save a princess from suffocation?" He glanced over, as Rosella suddenly gasped, unable to breathe.

"Sellie?" Parch said urgently, as Rosella clutched at her throat, Cyan having cut off her air. Parch whipped towards Cyan. "Stop it." He warned.

"Tell that to my cousin," Cyan replied, nodding towards a conflicted looking Aspen.

"STOP IT." Parch repeated, flaring his wings. "I've murdered dragons who have dared to hurt her before, don't think I won't kill you as well."

"How cute." Parch stormed forward, and Can flicked a talon, sending the dragonet soaring backwards and slamming into the floor. Aspen sighed.

"I really didn't want to have to do this," He insisted, staring directly at Cyan. "Paralyze." Cyan froze, suddenly unable to move. Aspen glanced over at Rosella, who's face was turning an unnerving shade of blue. "Breathe."

Cyan's hold on the princess dropped, and Rosella gasped, breathing once more. Aspen glanced back at Cyan. 

"Lift the curse," He repeated.

"Never," Cyan hissed. Aspen glanced at the animus's talons. 

"A thousand apologies, sir." He nodded towards the talons. "Break." Cyan's scream suddenly filled the hallway.  "What's next?" Aspen wondered out loud. He glanced back at Parch. "What would you recommend?"

"Wings," Parch snarled. "Burn them."

"Parch!" Rosella exclaimed. It was one thing to hurt an evil dragon, but to hurt their wings was just wrong. A dragon's wings were everything, even if it was a Seawing, who rarely used them. Aspen tilted his head at Cyan, waiting. The seawing looked a bit afraid now.

"Last chance," Aspen warned, reaching for Cyan's wing.

"OKAY OKAY!" Cyan cried out. "I release it! I release the curse!" Rosella immediately looked towards the cell. Prism had stopped clawing at the bars. She blinked, slightly confused, and glanced around.

"Prism?" Rosella asked gently. And then Prism spotted Cyan. Her scales turned red.

"You." She pointed at Cyan. "YOU TRAITOROUS MOTHERFUCKER! I SHARED BY PAINT WITH YOU!"  

Aspen burst out laughing.