The Song That Never Ends

"This is the song that neeeeevvveeeerrr eeeeennnnds, it just goes on and on MY FRIEND!" Joy bellowed. It was boring as hell being chained up, and her only source of entertainment was watching Macaw's father slowly get more and more irritated with her. "PEOPLE HAVE STARTED SINGING IT NOT KNOWING WHAT IT WAS, AND THEY'LL CONTINUE SINGING IT FOREVER JUST BECAUSE-"

"SHUT UP!" Macaw's father snapped.

"Hmmmmm, nah." Joy replied. "THIS IS THE SONG THAT NEVER ENDS!"

"Is she STILL doing that?" Macaw's annoying voice questioned as he walked in, Crow and Raven following him. "I would've thought she'd have switched songs by now."

"See, that's the beautiful thing about the song that never ends," Joy commented sarcastically. "It NEVER ENDS!" 

"Why don't we just gag her and shut her up?" Crow suggested.

"Great idea," Macaw's father rolled his eyes. "Go make yourself useful and get a gag." Crow ran off, and Joy turned to study the trio before her.

Macaw's father. The strongest and biggest threat. Old enough to have been trained in Grandeur's time, when Rainwings were fierce warriors, so his strength and military intelligence made sense. Watched her like a hawk, knew her plans.

Macaw. Joy had met dragonets that were stronger and could take out bigger dragons. He was weak, but determined. Hate fueled, yet stupid. If she pissed him off enough, he'd likely do something dumb enough to knock himself out.

Crow was also an issue. Small yet a quick learner. Loyal enough to fight her, but not big enough to win. Loud though. More intelligence than Macaw, but not much. 

And then there was Raven.

Raven, Joy judged by his appearance, was about a half a second from pitching himself in some lava and hopefully taking some of his relatives with him. The young dragon looked more miserable than Joy had ever seen someone. He obviously hadn't been sleeping, and he just looked so disappointed and angry, both with his family, and himself.

Raven, Joy thought, was the only dragon here that would be willing to help her. Macaw and his father would never let him, but perhaps she could guilt him into trying.

"Hi Raven," She offered.

"Don't talk to him," Macaw snapped. Raven shut his eyes, looking like he just wanted to disappear.

"Have you seen Wren lately?" She went on. If it was even possible, he managed to look even more miserable. "I'll take that as a no. Too bad. He really likes you." 

"Shut up," Macaw's father warned.

"Or maybe it's LIKED, as in no longer, seeing as you're here, and he's busy worrying about me." Macaw stepped towards her, a silent warning. "Raven," Slowly, he met her eyes. "If you didn't mean to do this and you tell him the truth, he will understand. He's good like that."

"We said shut up," Macaw repeated, winding up and slapping her.

"Wow," She smirked. "I NEARLY felt that one. Great try, buddy, you'll make the boxing team next year for SURE!" He glared at her. "Now wheeeeerrrreeee were we?" She asked.  "Oh! I remember. THIS IS THE SONG THAT NEVER ENNNNDSSS, IT JUST GOES ON AND ON MY FRIEND!"

They all groaned as Joy continued belting out the song.

******

"I'm sorry, WHAT?" Apple shouted.

"It's gross, I know," Kelp retorted. "And it's NOT happening, don't worry."

"But if we don't find Joy by Macaw's deadline," Rainkeeper continued. "Then we just have to let Macaw THINK we've agreed."

"NO!" Apple insisted. 

"We're not actually going to force Prism to marry Crow, that would be, well, revolting is an understatement, it's generally verging in pedophilic, but-"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Apple yelled again.

"Apple, it's okay," Ember insisted. "We're not going to let it happen,"

"And when Crow shows up and starts ranting to our daughter about how they're engaged and we can't deny it because Crow will find out? WHAT THEN, EMBER?"

"Then we tell Prism the truth and get her to play along! She's smart, she'll understand." 

"I cannot believe you're agreeing with this," Apple gaped at him. "Because IT'S NOT HAPPENING."

"No one is disagreeing with you there, Apple," Kelp went on. "It's not happening. It's a trick, nothing more. I just thought you should be aware of its existence,"

"Oh, so that's your way of saying that you're going through with it whether I like it or not, isn't it?" 

"....Basically, yeah." Apple growled, her scales going red enough to match Ember's.

"I don't like this," She proclaimed. "And right now, I DON'T LIKE ANY OF YOU." She stormed out of the room, Rainkeeper, Kelp, and Ember watching her go. Ember sighed.

"I'll calm her down," He insisted. "Just do what you have to do, she'll understand." 

"Let's hope we won't have to do anything," Kelp retorted. Ember nodded in agreement, and then ran after his wife.

"Is it bad," Rainkeeper started. "That even though Ember and Apple are happy together, I still kinda wanna threaten his life on a daily basis?"

"No," Kelp countered. "I want to threaten Ray and Parrot every day, even though I actually like them. Hell, sometimes Deathbringer still threatens me."

"Really?"

"At least once a week, yeah. I think it's an overprotective father thing."

"Wonderful."

"Yep."