New Discoveries

Wren sat on one of the Rainwing platforms, looking as miserable as he felt. He wasn't sure what made him feel worse, the fact that Joy's disappearance and being held hostage was pretty much all his fault, the fact that Raven had betrayed him, or the fact that he hadn't seen so much as a glimpse of Raven since that day in the forest.

It was horrible, in Wren's opinion. The mere thought of Raven used to make him feel all happy and giddy inside, but now it just made his heart ache. Raven had hurt him in the worst way possible, yes, but for some reason Wren just couldn't stop thinking about him. It was, according to Ander, the price you paid for having cared at all. Her lesson to him was to simply stop caring. But that wasn't easy, especially since Wren didn't know why Raven had done what he had done. Maybe he had had a good reason.

Or maybe Wren was just being stupidly hopeful.

"WREEEEEEEEEENNNNNN!!!!" A voice screeched from behind him. Wren didn't even have to glance up to recognize his cousin. Mako was like a howler monkey to the ears sometimes.

"HI WREN!" Wisteria piped up, both her and Mako climbing on the platform and attempting to tackle him. They smiled innocently at him, having no idea of any of the events that were going on of course.

"Hi guys," Wren forced a smile and Wisteria poked at his snout.

"Why you bein' frowny?" She demanded.

"What?"

"She said WHY YOU BEIN' FROWNY?" Mako repeated louder. 

"I don't know."

"You looks sad, that's all," Wisteria went on. "Why are you sad?"

"I'm not sad,"

"Yes you is."

"No, I'm not."

"YES YOU IS." Mako agreed. "MOMMY SAID THAT DADDY SAID THAT AUNTIE RIN SAID YOU WAS SAD AND FROWNY ABOUT SOMETHING WE CAN'T KNOW ABOUT."

"But we don't like not knowin' stuff!" Wisteria went on. "So TELLLLL UUSSSSSS!"

"No,"

"PLEAAAASSSSSEE?" They chorused.

"No." Wren repeated sternly. He poked at Wisteria. "And isn't your sister supposed to be watching you? She'll get worried if you disappear on her."

"Aw, not true. Rory only cares about boys," Wisteria countered.

"Well so do you," Mako grumbled.

"NO," Wisteria declared. "The only boy thing I care about is BEATING YOUR DUMB FISH FACE IN." Mako smiled.

"Awwww, you still wuv meeeeee!" Wisteria groaned. 

"WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS, I DO NOT." Mako shook his head.

"You shouldn't go tellin' lies, Wisty. Mommy says every time we lie, a monkey cries."

"So?"

"SO I DON'T WANNA MAKE THE MONKEYS SAD AND FROWNY LIKE WREN IS!"

"Wait.... Does that mean WREN'S A MONKEY?"

"YES AND HE'S FROWNY BECAUSE YOU LIED." 

"Who lied about what now?" Aurora questioned, popping up.

"I thought you'd never find them," Wren commented.

"I just listened for the sound of a young ship sailing and followed from there," She insisted. "Now come on Wisteria, we gotta go home."

"Nooooooooo," Wisteria whined. "I wanna stay and play with Mako!"

"Because she WUUUUUVVVVSSSS MEEEEEEE," Mako crowed.