The Sum Of His Parts

I don't try to describe the future. I try to prevent it.

Shelby's POV

They woke me up early to go on a picnic. I had no idea what to expect. But I had to go with them, so wary I went.

The park was full of people. Families enjoying the weather, and just having a good time.

"Mmmm, would you look at that." Cyborg said. "A little sunshine, a little breeze, and only one thing could make this day better. Four and a half pounds of baby back ribs! Man, I love picnic food!" Then he began to eat them like there was no tomorrow.

"Agreed, Cyborg. This tangy yellow beverage is truly delightful." Starfire said, drinking something. I looked at her and realized she was drinking mustard, I stared at her in disgust. Cyborg and Robin following my gaze saw her too.

"Um .. Starfire?" Cyborg said.

"That's mustard." Robin said.

"Is there more?" She asked, while rubbing the mustard jar against her cheek. Feeling grossed out, I walked over to Raven who was, like always, reading a book. Silently I sat down next to her.

"Sweet, my tofu dogs are cooked to perfection. Yo, Raven! Try one! They're loaded with soybeany goodness!" Beast Boy called over to Raven.

"I respect that you don't eat meat. Please respect that I don't eat fake meat." She said to him, dryly.

Then Cyborg ran by holding a football in his hand. "Alright people who wants to play some football?" He asked us excitedly.

Everyone except Raven and I ran to play. They all looked at us. "I'll be referee." Raven said.

"What about you, Shelby?" Robin asked.

"I don't know how to play." I said, trying to get out of it.

"We'll teach you." Beast Boy said, tugging me to me feet. Sighing I went out onto the field with them.

"Red, twenty three! Hut, hut, hike!" Robin said. Then Cyborg tossed the ball to him and ran. Beast Boy counted to five, then changed into a dinosaur and went after Robin. Then Robin threw the ball to Cyborg.

"I got it! I got it!" Cyborg said, reaching for the ball. Then he froze mid-run and the ball hit him on the head. Then he fell over.

"Cyborg?" Robin asked, worried. "Cyborg!" Then he ran over to him, because Cyborg didn't respond.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyborg's POV

Everything went black. I heard the voices of my worried friends. Then I blinked back to life, using me reserve power.