14

[[ more fucking time skips. this time it's about 8 ish months later. ]]

Right. The girls stayed public with their relationship, admitting they were in promise to each other.

Vanessa, after her initial panic over the hate, 'calmed' the hate with a tweet saying, hey homophobes, if you're hating on me and my girlfriend, go fuck off, #loveislove.

Madelaine, though she hadn't been planning a lot of dates, decided it was time she did something. After two years, it was time. She had it all planned, they were going to go on a trip to Niagara Falls and spend their two year anniversary together, and on the night they met, Madelaine was going to propose.

The night before they were supposed to leave, Madelaine finally told Vanessa over dinner.

"Okay, so Nessa, tomorrow morning, we're leaving. For a trip to Niagara Falls."

"What? You're kidding!"

Madelaine smiled. "Nope. We're spending our anniversary in Niagara Falls."

Vanessa jumped up and hugged Madelaine.

"Oh shit, I've gotta go get packed."

"Already done, beautiful."

Vanessa kissed Madelaine quickly and sat back down at the table.

"So we're flying out tomorrow morning, we'll be there until the morning after our anniversary."

"I love you Mads," Vanessa beamed.

"I love you too baby."

The next morning, Madelaine woke up at four, making sure she had the ring and that Yoshi had been dropped off with Camila and Lili. The early morning in early September was filled with rain, but the darkness in the sky only made Madelaine's mood brighter. Vanessa was up at 4:15, getting ready for what would be the greatest week of her young life. By 4:45, the girls were off, ending up at the gate of the airport only minutes before their plane departed. At 5:15, the plane was off and Vanessa was already cuddled into her girlfriend's arms, asleep.

When the plane landed at ten, the girls rushed to their hotel and threw their stuff into the corners, then started their day.

"Sooooo, when do we get to go to Niagara?"

"Patience grasshopper, later in the week."

Vanessa pouted and Madelaine patted the top of her head, then kissed her.

The entire week leading up to their anniversary, Vanessa kept begging to go to the actual waterfall, but Madelaine continued to find a way to avoid it, claiming they didn't have time that day.

On Friday, two years to the day they met, Vanessa was getting incredibly frustrated that she hadn't seen Niagara Falls yet.

"Are we just not going Madelaine? Because we leave tomorrow and we've yet to see the fucking waterfall."

"Nessa, calm down, you're going to see it."

"When? In my dreams?"

"Its our anniversary baby, go get changed. You're going to understand why we haven't seen it in a bit."

Vanessa grunted and grabbed her dress, the same one she had worn on their first date. Madelaine slipped into a pleated black dress and waited for her girlfriend. Vanessa stepped out and smiled, over her sudden anger. Madelaine grabbed her clutch, the ring stored inside, and reached for Vanessa's hand. The girls walked hand in hand to a restaurant down the street from their apartment.

Madelaine let Vanessa in first and then texted Jordan.

It's time. I'm so scared.

Don't be. You've got this.

She loves you.

Thanks Jord, I'll talk to you in a bit.

Vanessa tilted her head and stared at Madelaine.

"Nothing to worry about Nessa, just a bit of final preparations."

"I know baby. I'm not worried."

Vanessa smiled at her. Madelaine kept her clutch pressed against her, making sure nobody but her could touch it. The two kept loving gazes on each other until after dinner.

"It's time Nessa, we're going to see the falls."

Vanessa grinned and held Madelaines arm. Madelaine got an Uber to pick them up. Madelaine's arms were shaking and she kept reaching into the clutch to finger the ring. She shouldn't have felt the way she did. Vanessa was her soulmate. She knew it. As soon as the Uber stopped, Vanessa was pulling Madelaine towards the railing. The stars lit up over the cascading water. If she was going to do it, now was the time.

"Baby, look at it!" 

Madelaine giggled at her childlike words.

"I see it baby."

Madeline took a deep breath and got down onto her knee, slipping the ring out of her clutch.

"I love you Vanessa."

"I love you too!" Vanessa turned, confused when she didn't spot her girlfriend in front of her.

Her gaze dropped. "Madelaine."

"Vanessa, we've known each other for too long for me to pretend that I don't know you're my soulmate. You're my forever. I love you, and I physically can not see myself with anyone else. Vanessa Morgan, will you make me the actual happiest person ever, and," she stopped to breathe. "Marry me?"