2010 инк тяσρну 2

.

.

.

.

..........M.E.R.I.D.I.A.N......L.I.G.H.T.S..........

.

.

Ashley and I were chatting when we arrived at an upscale restaurant within the hotel where we could avail our free buffets. The delicious aroma wafting from the morning menu made my stomach grumble angrily.

I gulped while gazing at the impeccable dishes laid about. Plate in hand, I started scanning and deciding which food to devour.

Living in Toronto for months on end had gotten me used to western food. That was if I was too lazy to cook my own food - Filipino style. It's either steak with potatoes, fish and chips, lobsters - if my aunt felt kind enough to invite me for dinner -, and burgers with a crispy heap of fries. I usually went for the latter one as my daily lunch.

Now, seeing the Japanese food all around... I realized how much I missed Japan. There were also other continental dishes available, so much so that it was a mix of western and eastern cuisines, but I decided to stick with Japanese because it's been months since I've tasted one.

Instead of going for the cliche sushi and ramen that was surprisingly available for the morning buffet menu, I got a bowl of rice, raw egg, miso soup, grilled fish, fried beef, and some side dishes that I remembered eating in Sendai but forgot the name of.

It seemed that I was contemplating for too long because when I looked around, my chatty companion was long gone.

"Elana, over here!" Ashley called out, waving at me from a large round table beside the huge glass windows. She was in the process of setting down her plates on the table.

I started walking towards her when I noticed that the table was occupied by some skaters as well. Pausing in my steps for a second, I hesitated in my stance. I was always awkward when meeting new groups. It was fine if I talk and meet one new person, but... I didn't know what's wrong with me. It was unusually hard for me to assimilate in a group who I didn't know yet personally.