σиє нєℓℓ σf α ¢σиfυѕιи' gαℓα

.

.

.

.

..........M.E.R.I.D.I.A.N......L.I.G.H.T.S..........

.

.

I was a nervous wreck.

Competing in the Vancouver Olympics in front of the whole world? Easy.

Performing in a simple gala exhibition with a thousand or so audience? Impossible.

My mindset was weird when one thought about it. In competitions, I had a goal to perform my best and rack up every single point I could attain. However, dishing out a performance for the entertainment of the audience made me shake in my skates.

I was expected to entertain people, which I do not do. Even way back when I was in elementary or high school, I was the kid who would tell popular funny jokes but get zero response that simply screamed 'Hm, was that supposed to be funny?' as a result.

Why do I have to skate in this gala?

I let out a mournful sigh for the umpteenth time then I heard a laughing voice saying, "Relax. Galas are supposed to be fun. You look like you're gonna face a fearsome tiger or something."

"I don't know." I shrugged, giving a helpless smile to Ashley. We were hanging around in the girls' locker rooms. "I didn't even have a routine for these kinds of shows. I'm just going to recycle one of my novice programs..."

Ashley gave me an 'Are you kidding me?' look. "You don't have programs for ice shows?"

"I've never done ice shows. This is my first ever gala."

"What?" Ashley had that expression again.

"Stop looking like that. I'm not that popular, ok?"

Ashley couldn't contain her expression. "Uh, you blew up the net. The hell are you talkin' about, girl?"