fifty-three

53

VIOLA BENJAMIN

is your family cool with me coming over?[12:01pm]

[12:01pm]

they're all out
[12:03pm]

will i be safe?
[12:03pm]

you can stay home if you want
[12:03pm]

i'm outside your house
[12:03pm]

knock you idiot
[12:03pm]

VIOLA FREEZES AT THE sound of rapid knocking against her front door, completely unprepared to face the gorgeous boy on the other side of it. She straightens her crumpled navy t-shirt a little more neatly and slowly makes her way over, chewing on her lower lip nervously as she pulls the door open, completely exposing herself.

"You know, for such a fast texter, you sure take forever to open a door." Ben smiles cheekily, showcasing a clean row of blindingly perfect white teeth as he shoves his hands into the pockets of his denim jacket, hugging it tighter around his body.

Viola releases a heavy breath she didn't realise she was holding in, relaxing her face muscles into a small smile as a soft chuckle accompanies the slight shiver of her body due to the cool wind flowing into her house. She widens the door for the boy in front of her and watches as he cautiously steps over the threshold, as though he was scared she'd just slam the door in his face.

"I'm not going to bite, I promise. You look like you might cry." Viola smirks mischievously, nestling into the comfortableness of her own home that seems to help her ease the somewhat awkward tension.

Ben rolls his eyes, shrugging off his jacket and shoes, opting to get comfortable sooner rather than later. He mindlessly brushes a strand of hair behind Viola's ear, a nervous ache forming in his stomach as he runs the pad of his thumb across the smooth skin of her jaw. Viola sighs, enjoying the contact even though terrified to get closer herself.

"What if you like, have hidden cameras or something? Or lasers that kill intruders?" Ben mumbles distractedly, his eyes unfocused and glossy as his gaze darts around the wide-open space of Viola's home.

She laughs, a carefree and melodic tone as she reaches up to move a lock of curled brown hair from his forehead. "No one's dying on my watch. Besides, mum would kill me if I got blood on the walls, she just had them repainted."

Viola takes the jacket that still sits in the crook of his elbow and hangs it onto the coat rack, confidently gripping his large hand with her small one as she pulls him through the house and onto the comfort of the cream coloured sofa.

"Oh crap, do you like, want a drink or anything? Are you hungry?" Viola rambles, placing a hand to her forehead.

"You're a terrible host." Ben grins, leaning back into the cushions before shaking his head in decline. Viola nods and reaches for the TV remote, turning it to the movie catalogue and settling on the first film that comes up. She sits stoic next to Ben's relaxed body, freezing at any of his slightest movements.

He slowly moves an arm behind the back of the couch, his light fingertips grazing the sides of Viola's neck purposefully, before he leans over and puts his lips to her ear. "Why are you so tense? It's just me, you can relax." Viola breaths in a deep breath of air, slowly licking her lips before deciding to do the stupidest yet boldest thing in her entire damn life.

"I am so gonna hate myself for this later." And before Ben is even given the chance to question her, she turns around and smashes her lips against his.