sixty

60

VIOLA BENJAMIN

THE LOUD HUSTLE AND bustle of students radiates pure relief, relaxation and freedom as each group of friends sits in their designated spot for their morning break

THE LOUD HUSTLE AND bustle of students radiates pure relief, relaxation and freedom as each group of friends sits in their designated spot for their morning break. Viola sinks her teeth into a juicy red apple, sighing at the satisfying crunch of the fruit and the sweet flavoured juice that is absorbed inside. She walks briskly through the sliding doors of Mercy Crest High School, breathing in the smell of fresh air and newly chopped grass, before planting herself at the usual table herself and Genevieve occupy five times a week.

However, their usual private time was short lived as two large shadows loom over the partially empty table, blocking off the warmth of the morning sun. Viola raises a brow at her best friend as she watches both Ben and Eddie comfortably place themselves on either side of the table, smug grins glowing on their faces.

"Um—uh." Viola stutters.

"Okay, those are my fucking chips." Genevieve growls at Eddie, who tries at the plastic packet of chicken flavoured potato crisps. He widens his eyes, lifting his hands in surrender before subtly scooting over just the slightest bit.

Viola raises a brow at Ben sat beside her. "Are you lost?" He responds with the mere roll of his eyes, happily chewing on his own apple. He leans over and plants a soft kiss to her temple, smiling against her skin before moving his lips down to her ear.

"Hi, beautiful." Ben leans onto the table, a soft smile on his lips hiding behind the apple at his mouth. Viola sighs and looks over to her best friend—who is somehow minding her own business as she relishes in the savory taste of a mouthful of chips—and then flickers her gaze to Eddie, who noticeably has a hint of a frown creasing the skin around his mouth.

"Do you not have friends of your own?" Viola muses and Ben chuckles, shrugging his shoulders.

He points to Eddie, "yep, all one of him." Eddie looks up at the exchange with furrowed brows, playing with the hem of his shirt sleeve and Viola rolls her eyes as Ben delves back into chewing his apple and scrolling through his phone.

Eddie's gaze flits momentarily to Viola, his chocolate brown eyes connecting with her own as he stares at her with a straight face void of any emotion. Eddie is the first to look away, occupying himself with a bird that walks through the grass, pecking at the nature in search of food. Viola furrows her brows, confused at their interaction but her thoughts are quickly cut off by the nauseating sound of the bell.

Genevieve leaves in a hurry, mumbling incoherently about how her teacher was going to kill her for not doing her homework. Ben slowly lifts himself from the table, placing an innocent peck on Viola's cheek before moving off to his own class.

Eddie didn't seem like he was going to move anytime soon and neither did Viola. She chances a look at him, hoping he'd catch her gaze too but only comes face to face with a frown as he stares at the lunch table as though the bird crap that stains it is the most interesting thing he has ever encountered.

"Uh, are you okay?" Viola asks timidly, wringing her hands and chewing on her lower lip. Eddie looks up at her and eventually produces a convincing enough smile to bring back the twinkle in his soft eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm okay." Eddie grabs his rubbish and rises from the table, swinging his legs over the bench and hightailing back towards the school building. Viola sits in silence, majority of the student body already settling into their next classes and only a select few students still loitering the yard. She tosses her wrappers into the rubbish bin with a sigh, turning at the sudden call of her name.

Eddie jogs the couple metres that separates them, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "I—I forgot to ask." He clears his throat, training his eyes on his polished black school shoes. "I never got your number." He looks up with rosy cheeks, nibbling on his plump lip.

"Oh!" Viola smiles sweetly. "Sure." She reaches out her hand and waits for Eddie to place the small black device in her palm, before typing in her phone number and handing it back to him.

Eddie fiddles with the phone as a smile showcases his pearly white teeth. "Thanks Viola, I'll see you around." Hesitantly, he tucks a stray strand of hair behind her ear, dragging his warm fingertips over her cheek. Viola steps back, wrapping her arms around herself as she clears her throat.

"Bye, Eddie." She gives a tight smile in return before shifting her footing to walk in the opposite direction.

The entire walk back to her class, Viola felt an uncomfortable tightness in her stomach as though it was trying to convince her that some things may never seem so innocent after a while.

»» ▬▬▬▬▬ ««

yo, fuck eddie