seventy-one

71

VIOLA BENJAMIN

"AND ON THE SEVENTH day, God obviously didn't say 'let the people sleep in'

"AND ON THE SEVENTH day, God obviously didn't say 'let the people sleep in'." Genevieve cries out her morning round of complaints, shielding her eyes from the sun with one slim hand and texting away on her phone with the other. Viola rolls her eyes, giggling as she leans into Ben's side, a strong arm wrapped protectively around her petite body.

"She sure does complain a lot." Ben muffles his words into Viola's temple and Genevieve turns to glare at the boy, her mouth turning down into an unruly scowl. She scoffs and instead leans onto the table they sit at, cushioning her head into the crook of her arms.

Viola snickers, "oh please, you haven't seen the half of it." She bursts into a melodic laugh when her best friend gives her the finger, her head still buried in her arms.

"I'm right here, you know." Genevieve grumbles behind her bodily shield, her light brown hair sprawled atop her head, the ends of her strands floating onto the terracotta coloured lunch table.

Over the past few weeks, the trio had slowly but surely become tightly knit together. Where Ben was Viola was, where Viola was Ben followed and Genevieve didn't spend a mere second without her hip attached to her best friend's. So naturally, they spent more time together than not, it had been a simple routine that they all slipped into easily.

Genevieve looked up, squinting her eyes against the bright sunlight. "Can you guys stop being happy and all couple like for five seconds. It's disgusting and it makes me sad and if I'm miserable you guys have to be miserable too." She pouts and Viola and Ben change from looking at each other to the girl leaning her chin on her arms.

Viola rolls her eyes. "I'm terribly sorry Gen, how rude of us." She mocks sarcastically and Genevieve lets out a sharp 'hmph' when Viola pats her head.

"Apology accepted." She salutes Ben before placing her head back into the crook of her arms, grumbling profanities about how if she could grab the sun and kick it, she totally would.

"Oh crap! I promised Miss Williams I'd hand in a practice exam before homeroom." Viola bolts up as her mind registers the time on her phone, shoving the device into the pocket of her blazer. She hastily kisses Ben on the lips and flicks Genevieve's head, who only groans in response. "I'll see you guys at recess!"

Viola runs from the courtyard and shuffles into the busy school building, students gathering their books for their morning lesson and loitering around lockers, chatting animatedly amongst groups of friends. She reaches into her school bag and pulls out the stapled stack of papers that kept her up the night before, walking past her teacher's office.

After a few exchanged words, Viola breathes a sigh of relief and walks down the hallway, shouldering her way through the boisterous lot of students. She pulls her phone from her pocket, smiling girlishly at the texts from her boyfriend and the interesting series of emojis from her best friend. With her attention so preoccupied, Viola fails to notice the tall figure walking towards her and gasps when she crashes into a hard chest, her phone falling from her slim hands.