seventy-four

74

VIOLA BENJAMIN

THERE WAS A SOFT knock from behind Viola's bedroom door and she barely manages a sniffled "come in" before burying her head back into her pillows

THERE WAS A SOFT knock from behind Viola's bedroom door and she barely manages a sniffled "come in" before burying her head back into her pillows. She hears the light footsteps of what can only be her mother's stilettos and Viola lifts her head as she walks further into the room.

"Viola honey, I think it's time to tell me the reason behind you locking yourself in your room." Viola's mother rubs her shoulder tenderly as she places herself gently on the edge of her daughter's bed, a concern-stricken expression on her ageing features.

"Mum, how did it just all go so bad?" She cries out, her words coated in cracks and broken pieces as though each fragment of the sound were lying in different places on the floor.

Her mother sighs sadly, tucking a stray strand of hair behind Viola's ear. "What happened?" She coaxes softly.

"I fell for a boy," her mother smiles. "And everything seemed to be going so well, like nothing in the world could ruin what we had, nothing could ruin what was finally making me happy. But then his best friend—well he said some things that he shouldn't have and now Ben thinks there's more to us than just friendship. It was all just a mistake."

A sob racks from Viola's chest and she covers her face with her dainty hands, burying her head into the crook of her mother's warm neck. She makes slow circles on Viola's back, allowing her to catch her breath and calm the onslaught of crying.

"This Ben boy, is he the one that's been occupying your phone these past few months?" Viola nods meekly and her mother pushes her back, staring her in the eye.

"Viola, I'm going to give you some advice that I wished my mother had given me," she smiles and Viola nods silently. "Young love, is the best kind of love. It's pure and exciting and open for all kinds of experience. It allows you to discover so many things that you just don't have time to as an adult. Mistakes are meant to be made, imagine a world without mistakes."

Viola wipes at her eyes and smiles weakly as her mother continues on.

"A world without any mistakes is simply a world that never learns. Sometimes, you need to make the wrong choices in order to find out what the right one is. Which one is Ben?"

Viola opens her mouth to reply with tears glistening in her eyes when she suddenly flinches at the buzz of her phone.

we should talk
[6:02pm]

i'd be stupid not to
[6:02pm]

meet me at berrylane park 7pm
[6:02pm]

Viola looks up at her mother with wide eyes, a smile quirking the ends of her mouth. Her mother tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear, leaning forward and placing a tender kiss on her forehead.

"Talk to him sweetheart, don't let him be one of your mistakes."