Chapter 36

Matheo's POV

She ran, before I even had the chance to explain. I called out her name and even called her on the phone but the line was as good as dead, walking outside to look, I'd figured she knew I was going to and what do I expect, she steered clear.

           I stop in my tracks halfway walking through the park, hopeful she'd be here. Its been a half an hour but I still see no sign, my eyes searched the area trying out my luck. Unfortunately, I came back to the company after a phone call from the executive head, the meeting was about to start. 30 minutes in, I struggle to listen and with my divided attention, I kept thinking about her. Iv'e been pacing out from conversations, trying to re-adjust my clothing while I occasionally glance on my watch. In what felt like in an excruciating time, the meeting came to an end.

I was still deep in thought of where the hell did she went to. Worried about her, I had to do something. Just in time for Celia as she came outside the board room with co-workers, I needed to have a word with her.

"Um, do you know where Cleo went off to?" I spoke approaching her, anxious of conversing when it comes to Cleo.

"Mat." She greeted with a beam on her face, a look of assurance that she's all ears to understand.

"Cleo called me an hour ago before the meeting and she told me she's at Brenna's, telling me there's a family celebration and she was invited to come." She explained.

But of course, I knew Cleo was lying. Makes me think that she had no plans to go home to this day and plans to stay away from my presence as long as she can. I ponder as to what was I about to do, I needed to make sure that she's safe. She might have lied about her whereabouts but my intuition was telling me she would need to see her best-friend. I remember she had mentioned one.

"Do you have her best-friend's number? If you mind me asking." I respond, hopeful.

"Sure, I have it here ... I'll just send it to you." She replied, fishing out her phone in her bag.

"Thank you." I said with a small smile, thankful of her given informations.

"No problem, Mat." She smiled back and said her farewell leaving, while I was left onto what I was going to do next.

I plan to head out as I try to see what I can do to look for her. Dialing the phone number, the call dialed a couple of times and as anxious I was, I still persisted. After a couple of times I dialed the number, she answered.

"Um, hello?" Her voice timid, unsure of the phone call.

"Is this Brenna? its Cleo's stepbrother." I asked, odd that in reality she's still my stepsister.

"Yeah, I am. You're Matheo, right? Why? What happened?" She asked hastily, worried in a sudden.

"Is Cleo with you? Or did she called?" I asked, a hope in my voice.

"I'm afraid she didn't."

Goddamn.

"If she calls, could you please inform me? Iv'e been trying to reach out to her but she's not answering any." I spoke, closing my eyes as I took a deep breathe, starting to feel frustrated.