Chapter 2 - The picture

My father had a routine developed over the years and it was highly predictable. He would be up before dawn, having his personal chat with God and as soon as he was done with the last prayers of the day, he would be fast asleep. His rugged looks and long white beard would make anyone believe that he was a person to stay away from, but he had a heart of gold and I looked up to him immensely. But I really appreciated it when he was fast asleep. It was hard for me to trick him into anything as he would see right through me; which I hated and always avoided, which is also the reason why our conversations used to be short and to the point.

He wasn't supposed to be awake. Did he sense that something was about to happen? I cannot convince two people to appreciate my curves and I definitely didn't want my dad to. Feeling defeated without entering the battlefield, I decided to go to bed. I had to put myself through another hour of torture the next day. I was on my bed scrolling through my Instagram, seeing the number of likes I got for my momos picture when my dad entered the room. He didn't really appreciate or understand the need for us to be stuck to our phones all day long, so I kept my phone aside and looked at him.

"Beta are you free?" he asked very sweetly with innocent eyes, just how a butcher would look at the hen before slaughtering it. He entered my room and sat on the chair next to my study table. It only meant one thing 'danger' 'danger' 'danger'. That question of my dad was as terrifying as a woman telling her husband that she's 'fine'.

Marwa looked at my face immidiately as this never happened. It had to be something big.
Gathering all my courage, I said, "yes Abba(dad), tell me".

He looked at Marwa looking curiously at us and decided that we should talk in the living room.

While I followed after him, Marwa whispered, "good luck". As nervous as I was, I still managed to respond to her, "I need it".
As I made my way towards the living room, I was trying to recall all the possible things that I had done in the past that would require a one-on-one and surprisingly I had been really good for the past couple of days. We sat down facing each other at a distance and my mother joined in a while. Once she made herself comfortable, my father started.

"So there is a marriage proposal for you."
I was so relieved that it wasn't something I did, I sighed and immediately realized what he just said and got nervous. I was waiting for him to continue but he looked at me for some reaction.

"Umm, ok" I smiled still relieved that I wasn't in trouble. My father was a little surprised to see me happy so I composed myself immediately.

"The family is from Cochin, he's the only child, working in Florida, US. His father passed away when he was young. Even though they are from a different part of India, their lifestyle seems to be similar to ours which I sensed after talking to the boy's uncle. He's 5 years elder to you, which seems perfect to me. I'll email his bio-data and picture to you in the morning. Have a look and let me know what you think."

"Ok". I didn't know what I said ok to, I didn't really hear anything after Florida to be honest. I was extremely excited and couldn't wait until the morning to receive the mail from my father. By then, I had completely forgotten about talking to mom about quitting pilates and at that moment it didn't really matter.

**********

It was indeed a very long night. The coffee kept me up until midnight. As always, I first took my phone from under my pillow and then opened my eyes. Then turned on the wifi and switched off the airplane mode and by the time I was up, notifications had filled in. I was going through them when the mail from my father caught my eye. I looked over and saw the Marwa wasn't in the room. I realised that it was already noon and she was probably in college. I sat upright and immediately opened it.

The bio-data was really impressive. His engineering degree from the US helped him land a good job with a hefty pay. He was the only heir to everything that his father has built and yet he chose to pursue his dreams, which was quite rebellious and very intriguing. His picture took forever to load and when it finally did, my heart sank. I slowly rolled back into my bed without taking my eyes off him.

It was the first time that I felt nervous looking at a picture, I didn't understand if it was a good or a bad kind of nervousness but I could hear my heart pounding. The collar of his light blue shirt overlapping on his navy blue sweater. Even through his loose sweater, I could see his muscular arm resting on the desk next to his MacBook. Oh his face! Even through his glasses his eyes emitted innocence. His fair skintone accentuated his features. He had the perfect square jawline and a cleft chin, which I preferred to call a face ass. He had the perfect soft smile. I looked at his picture, my heart racing for no apparent reason. He was perfect, flawless. I couldn't believe that there was a possibility of him being my partner

There could be no way he would want a wife like me except if I lost 20 kgs, had better hair and extremely good looks which seemed highly impossible. His interest to marry me seemed a bit far fetched and I felt disappointed with myself for not being like that girl in the poster last evening.

I got up from my bed and peeped from my door, there was no sign of my father around. I tip toes to the kitchen and showed the picture to my mom who was preparing lunch.

"I already saw his picture. Shall we go ahead with this proposal?" mom asked while chopping onions.

"I don't know", it was a great opportunity but let's face it. It's better to not go ahead when I knew I would be rejected.

Mom stopped and looked at me, "Why? He is good looking and everything else seems perfect."

"Exactly. Everything is perfect except me. I hate rejections so it's better not to go ahead with it."

"Don't ever think that way. Everyone is flawed, that doesn't mean we sulk about it and put ourselves down. I know I don't say this because I never felt the need to. I was under a misconception that you considered yourself beautiful. Trust me, you are beautiful. And not just on the inside." It did make me feel better. Though my mom yelled at me the most, she cared the most too.

"Every mother thinks that her daughter is beautiful."

"Its not just me, his family thinks so too. They have seen your bio-data and picture and they really like you. I don't even understand why your father needed your approval. We elders should be taking the decisions." She said sounding a little off.

"Arreh! I have to get married, my opinion matters the most." I said while trying to find a glass to have some water.

She got my hand with the spatula and said, " First go and freshen up. One is 26 and another is 21. Two daughters and yet I do the cooking and cleaning."

I had to get away before she continued with her daily complains. I hugged her from behind and said, "Once I get married, you will have to do all this anyway. I don't want to make you lazy by helping around the house."

She shrugged me off and turned around to hit me again but I managed to escape and ran towards the washroom. Before I entered, I turned around and saw her smile and say to herself, "don't know when she will grow up."

__________

Hello my lovely readers 🥰,

Thank you for continuing with my story. I hope you will continue reading it and shower me with your love and support by hitting the little star on the bottom tab 😋

Much love ❤️❤️❤️