chapter 13 - pancakes

I don’t want to see your face.

It was on repeat mode in my head and I barely slept last night with the pain. It was the first time that I had missed my family so much, living away from them was very difficult especially when I knew that I had to wait for several months before I got to see them. I would do anything to just talk to my mom, hug her tight and fall asleep in her embrace. I was so excited to get married and live in a foreign country but at that point I would give anything to leave all of that behind and run away to my safe place.

Aaaaaaah”, I screamed.

“What happened?”, my mom was panting slowly as she rushed to my room from the kitchen listening to me scream.

“why is this knife so sharp?”, I said sucking the blood from my index finger.

Mom came rushing towards me and took my hand, “show me what happened”, she observed my finger carefully and pushed my hand, “I can’t believe you screamed that loudly for this mild cut.”

“What mild cut?. Look! there’s blood!”, I showed her my finger and she pushed it again.

“That’s not even a single drop of blood. You can’t even cut a thermacol sheet carefully, how will you cut onions when you get married? Drama queen”, she said and left my room.

I smiled thinking of that incident, for a moment I had forgot about the pain in my feet. I looked at the floor and reality set in as I saw the blood stains from my feet all over the carpet. I laid down on the floor trying to make sense of the whole situation and before I knew it, I fell asleep.

Something was pricking my eyes and I struggled to open them as the direct sun rays hit me from the window across the room. I turned to the other side to continue with my disturbed sleep and flashes of the previous night crossed my mind. I got up and wished it was a nightmare but the stained carpet said differently. My feet felt a lot better and I could stand a little easier than the previous night. One more round of cream and it would be as good as new.

Even though I slept through the night, it didn't feel like I did. My body ached and I was exhausted. After stretching my arms and legs for a good minute, I took my phone to check the time but the battery had died. I managed to get outside my room without making my half healed wounds fresh again.

I made my way outside the room and looked at the clock. There was an hour left for Ayaan to leave for work, so the prickly sun rays were a blessing in disguise. It felt like God was giving me an opportunity to redeem myself and so I headed straight to the kitchen without freshening up. Though last night proved that I was a bad cook, there was one dish that I never failed at. I made the best pancakes. Not to brag but there wasn't a single soul who would deny that.

As I entered the kitchen, I noticed the file in the slab and the hair on the back of my neck raised. I quickly grabbed the milk and blueberries from the fridge and all the other necessary things that I would need to make the perfect breakfast and got down to business.

It was 15 minutes to 8:00 am when I placed the coffee and pancakes on the table. Just in time Ayaan stepped out of his room and noticed me standing next to the dining table. There was an awkward silence between us and clear disappointment reflected from his face.

“I... I made breakfast”, I said hesitantly.

Without saying a word he came towards the table and I moved to give him way. I went to the kitchen to clean up, avoiding any awkward encounters and seeing my food being dumped into the trash again.

I stood in the kitchen, far away from his sight. My heart was pounding in my chest, it felt like a life and death situation. The rest of my day or even days to come depended on that stack of pancakes on the dining table in front of him. It was awfully quiet outside and the silence just made me more nervous, like the calmness of the sea before the storm.