chapter 9 - Dinner date

It was already 8:00 pm and I hadn’t heard from Ayaan. He wasn’t responding to my texts or calls. We had planned on having dinner with my family and stay over for the night. While waiting, I decided to save his number under his name for the time being and later change it once I knew him better. If I had to describe him in one word at that very moment, it would be 'scary' and I didn’t want to save him under that name. He finally answered my call around 8:30 pm.

“Hello.”
“As salamualaikum. Are you busy?”
“Was alaikum salaam. Who is this?” I felt a tug in my stomach. He hadn’t saved my number yet. That explains why he hadn’t responded to any of my calls or texts.
“It’s Safa.”
“Oh sorry, I didn’t look at the screen before answering.” I hoped it was true.
”It’s 8:30 already. When will you be coming?”
“Sorry I won’t be able to make it tonight. I’m stuck with some work and even if I come, it’ll be around midnight and it won’t be appropriate to disturb your parents at that time. It’s better I stay at my friend’s place. I’ll come tomorrow evening and stay the night.”
“Its ok if you are late. My parents won’t mind at all.”
“But I do", his tone changed and I instantly agreed with him.
“Ok as you say. But our flight is tomorrow afternoon.”
“That’s ok. I’ll stay the night tomorrow at your parents place and we can leave the day after tomorrow.”
“Your mother will be expecting us tomorrow.”
“Ill talk to her. Is your father around?.”
“Yeah."
"I would like to talk to him."
"Just a minute.”

I went up to my father and gave him the phone, “It’s Ayaan”. I was a little disappointed at him but relieved that I can sleep tonight without upsetting him.

My father spoke to him, he was disappointed but he didn’t show it. He ended the call with a smile, “He is such a good man. Apologized thrice for not being able to make it tonight. I’m glad that he’s a part of our family.”

As I took the phone from him, I wondered if this was the same Ayaan who threw the towel at me a couple of days back. I immediately brushed the thought off me as I was in my happy place and nothing could ruin it. I had a very peaceful sleep that night, without any fear or embarrassment.

The next day went great, Ayaan came with gifts and sweets for my family. He became Marwa's favorite after the lovely abaya he bought her, he was exhausted that night and fell asleep soon. I came out of the room as I was struggling to fall asleep and found my mom watching TV. I sat beside her and she looked at me, expecting to say something.

“Why are you here?”, She asked.

“That’s a rude question.”

She gently hit my head and said, “you know what I mean.”

“Ayaan was tired, he is sleeping. I wasn’t sleepy, so I’m here.”

“You have done it right?” she asked reluctantly.

I was scrolling through my social media and didn’t understand what she meant and asked her, “done what?”. I looked at her puzzled and it dawned on me. “Ewe, I’m not discussing that with you.” I got up to leave but she pulled me back on the couch.

“You can talk to me.”

I gave a look which clearly said 'no way'.

“ I’m not trying to be the 'cool mom’ by talking about this to you. I should have had this conversation before your wedding. Anyway, now I will. The first relationship that God created was of a husband and wife, not father - daughter or mother – son. I want you to know that its not just physical but emotional intimacy that will help strengthen your marriage. It’s the only thing that makes a marriage stand out from all other relationships. You’re at the beginning of your marriage and sure it’ll take time to reach the level of security and trust but you need to take a step for it. It's only if the foundation is strong, your relationship will stand strong against all storms. Do you understand what I'm saying?"