chapter 6 - The wedding

“Didi get up!” Marwa sprinkled water on my face. “This is the third and final time I’m trying to wake you up “

“I hardly slept for three hours, please give me 10 more minutes.” I cried and covered myself again with my blanket.

“All are getting ready. You need to go to the parlor too. Ammi is yelling.” Marwa pulled the blanket and forced me out of the bed.

“Tell them to slow down, the wedding won’t start until I get there.” I said as I yawned.

Mom entered the room with a spatula in her hand and said, “good you're up. Otherwise you would be the first bride to get beaten by her mother on her wedding day.”

I dragged myself to the bathroom to take a shower. My big day had hardly started and I was exhausted already. Maybe because I hadn’t got enough sleep since the bachelorette party. Guests started coming in the very next day and it was a chaos. All that my cousins could talk about was my first night after the wedding and I dreaded it.

I had never tried to imagine how my first night would would be as Mrs. Ayaan Rasheed. But I really hoped that it wouldn't be as my cousins and friends described it for me.

I got out of the shower and looked at my outfit. I got emotional just seeing it. It was the most beautiful bridal outfit I’d ever seen. A dark red lehenga with golden and pink intericate work which covered the entire skirt. The bodice had a sweetheart neckline with work around the borders and the sleeves. It had a deep back with a dori and hangings on it. The dupatta was equally gorgeous which had a golden thick border with embroidery of flowers. The entire dupatta was covered with mirror work. It looked elegant.

“Didi jaldi(fast)!” Marwa screamed from the car.

“Stop shouting. Gosh!. This lehenga is as heavy as me and also big.” As I was struggling to manage the lehnga myself, my cousin helped me get inside the car. It took nearly an hour for the make up artist to work her magic on me and once it was done, I was surprised to see myself in the mirror. She managed to hide all my freckles and my skin looked flawless. But I looked like a vamp with overdramatic make up. I asked the make up artist to tone down the make up a lot and it took another half an hour. Marwa came in after finishing with her make up and hair and stopped at the door when she saw me.

“Wow.”

That’s all she said. I was worried that it was still too loud and moved to look in the mirror and indeed I looked wow. For the first time my hijab didn’t make me look like a ball, I looked like a princess and I just couldn’t stop staring at myself. Unable to believe that it was actually me. Sure it took an hour and a half to make me look good, but it was worth it.

Feeling attractive for the past couple of days was making me feel a little less insecure about myself. My struggle to believe that I was about to marry the most handsome man was much smaller compared to just a week ago. Maybe I deserved a handsome husband, maybe I underestimated myself.

The call from my mom interrupted our awkward starting at the mirror and Marwa said, “ didi we are late, let’s get going.”

I thanked the make up artist a ton and ran towards the car. Once inside, Marwa turned towards me and said, “ you look like an angel!”.

“Of course I do. After sitting there for an hour and a half, I had to look like one.” I joked. “ You look even better. You better not come near me and steal my thunder”, I smiled at her.

“Ya right. You please sit in one place like a bride and not roam around like the organizer.” Marwa insisted.

“Noway. Once I’m married, no one can do anything. I’m going to enjoy my wedding to the fullest. You please don’t forget to get me lunch.”