chapter 23 - Knocked out

Einstien's theory of relativity never made sense to me, but that very day it did. Though I waited just for a couple of hours to talk to Ayaan, it seemed like eternity. I had to find the perfect time when he would be relaxed and happy and in a mood to talk, which was pretty rare. It was post dinner when he was in the drawing room working on his laptop when I went up to him.

"Are you busy?", I asked hesitantly in a soft tone.

"Not really. You want
to say something?", He asked and closed his laptop.

"Actually ask", I had learnt another thing about Ayaan living with him. He loved it when I asked rather than told him. Be it for breakfast or taking a shower. He would love it all.

"Before that", he held my hands and looked into my eyes while his lips curve into a smile. "You have been a wonderful wife to me and I know I've been unreasonable with you often. It was just to test if you are worthy of me and to make you a better person and you are so much better a person now. Don't you agree?"

As much as I wanted to push him away and slam something on the floor to calm me down, I couldn't. I wasn't the same Safa I was before I got married and seeing him smiling and knowing that I'm the reason for it forced me to nod in agreement.

"I knew it", his smile widened and he squeezed my hands softly. "I wanted to tell you that I'll be terminating the rules that we had agreed upon. It was one of the test for you and you have successfully passed."

"Thank you", I was beyond happy. I was tired of following the rules and it made me feel free like a bird from the cage.

"You wanted to ask something?", he asked.

"It's not important. We can talk about it later", it was going perfect and I didn't want to jinx it.

"You can talk to me."

"Since you insist", I said and took a moment to choose my words right, "we have been married for a few months now and yet we don't live like a married couple. Have I wronged you in any way that we use different bedrooms?". I didn't want him to feel guilty for anything. With his condition, blaming him for anything would just make things worse.

He shifted, trying to find a comfortable position to relax but clearly he was failing. Instead, he interlaced his fingers and started squeezing them together. And before I knew it, a blow flew to my nose knocking me to the floor. He rushed towards me and helped me get up while my eyes were shut and I was squeezing my nose to stop the pain from intensifying. I held his hand to get up and when I sat on the couch, I saw blood on his shirt and it was from my hand.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to do that", he said and ran into my room to get the first aid box.

I started crying as I had a flashback of the stained carpet on my bedroom. At that moment I was so scared of Ayaan that I pushed him away from me and ran inside my bedroom, locking the door behind me. The bleeding didn't stop and I used the first thing I saw to rub the blood off. Something hit me hard on my head and before I could turn and see what it was, I fell on the floor.

**********

The pain in my nose disturbed my sleep. I woke up dizzy and when I looked around, Ayaan was asleep on the stool next to my bed while his hand was on mine. I was in the hospital. I gently tried to pull my hand out without disturbing him but he woke up.

"How are you doing?", he asked. He looked exhausted and tired.

"Still in pain", I said trying not to look at him. I knew I looked miserable and I didn't want him to see me that way. He went outside and came back with a nurse. She checked me and said that I could go home after the doctor saw me. Ayaan sat next to me while we waited for the doctor. I avoided looking at him and he sat in total silence.