Chapter 27 - Secrets unfold

Never had I ever been that terrified. I had seen the best and worst of Ayaan and I couldn't imagine what he had planned for me next, especially after knowing that I had been sneaking into his room. I stood there motionless when his hands caressed my shoulders and placed his chin on it.

Be calm Safa, be calm.

"What a pleasant surprise", He whispered in my ear. His breath causing my heart to race.

"I.... I...", I didn't know what to say and I knew there was nothing that would help me escape the situation.

He laughed and slid his hands around my waist. His grip tightened as he said, "Aren't you a child". He took a deep breath and continued in his calm tone, "You thought I didn't know about you constantly intruding into my bedroom?"

"I.... I was just... I'm sorry", I didn't know what else to say and tears started gushing out of my eyes, fearing for my safety.

He let loose of me and turned me around to face him. "why are you crying? I haven't done anything" He hugged me and caressed my back to sooth me and surprisingly it was working. Yet there was no peace inside me. Though my tears were at rest, I knew something bad was about to happen and there was nothing I could do about it and I got goosebumps when he completed his sentence, "yet".

"Why don't we go to the dining area", he said and took me to the dining room by my hand. We sat opposite each other where he continued, "would you like to explain yourself?"

"I.... I just went inside your bedroom to know about you as you were not opening up to me."

"So all this is my fault?"

"No no. That's not what I meant. I wanted to know why we live like strangers. What had I done, that you were so upset with me that you didn't feel I was worthy enough to be your wife."

It was very difficult to read his face as he was too calm for his nature. He thought for a while and said, "Fair enough. So what did you find?"

I didn't know if that was a trick question. I wanted to mention just about the diary but if he knew that I was entering his room, he probably would know what all I looked at. "I found a few things in your closet." He was calm and had the 'I know' look on his face. When he didn't say a word, I continued.

"I found a box. It had pictures of you with another woman", I said and looked at him, even though I was terrified. I wasn't going to break the silence. I wanted to know more about her. What had she done that crushed Ayaan to the extent that he wouldn't trust me.

"Inaya", he whispered. I could see tension build in his face as the seconds passed. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath to calm himself down, like he always did. Once he was better, he continued, "the day my father passed away, I didn't just loose my father but my mother too. She was a mess and didn't pay any attention to me. Sure she provided me with the basic necessities, but emotionally she was never available. The only way I got her attention was when I messed up and I liked it. When I didn't stop, even after her constant warnings, she sent me to boarding school and then here to get my degree. It was my first day of college when I met her."

He sighed and smiled. It was almost like he was reliving that day. His eyes got all teary but he forced them in. She still had an impact on him, after all these years. I could relate to him, it wasn't easy to forget someone who you loved immensely.

"What happened?", I was curious.

"She was everything I ever wanted. She filled the void in my life. I was no more lonely. For seven years we were inseparable until she failed", his happy tears turned into tears of pain.