Chapter 4 - Fit to be married

" Come soon fatty!. I'm getting late", Sarah screamed from her bike wearing her helmet

Getting down the stairs was the only thing I could do with ease and it became the most difficult thing now. Thanks to the stupid workouts. My legs could fall apart any moment.

"How did u manage to get down so quickly? It was such a terrible workout!." I said in a tone which almost seemed like whispering.

"That's what happens when you are lying around the house all day. Involve yourself in more physical activities. Now stop crawling and get on soon, my mom will kill me." Sarah's eyes were starting to cause me a lot more pain, she was shooting daggers through them.

I hopped on the bike almost in tears, " What's special today?"

"I didn't tell you as you had your thing going on yesterday. A family is coming today to see me, it's my turn now to get all dolled up and be on display and my mom wants the house spotless." Sarah said almost irritated. She never felt the need to be married to be happy, she found enough happiness within herself as others found in each other.

"Wow!. That's great news. Why didn't you tell me idiot?. What are you wearing?. Should I be there to give you moral support?. I'm sure they will like you in an instance, you're the most gorgeous friend I have. Oh wait, is the guy taller than you?. I hope aunty isn't forcing you into this. Should I talk to her about this?. I still can't believe that you didn't tell me!" My excitement for her made me forget my nervousness about the previous night. I couldn't shut my mouth until Sarah hit the breaks and I almost fell on her.

"You have arrived at your destination Miss." Sarah said but I didn't get off her bike, waiting for her to answer the questions that I shot at her.

"First details."

"Alright" she removed her helmet and continued, "you were nervous already with your thing and I wanted to wait until it was over so that I can he on the spot light." She winked at me. "Let me see if I can remember all your questions, yes he's taller than me, its dad's colleague's son, yes his family likes me and they are coming to fix the wedding date and not to just see me since they have already seen me at numerous office parties. If I've answered all your sensible questions, can I go now and text you the rest?"

"You don't seem happy about it."

"Actually... it's ok leave. I'm getting late, will give u details tomorrow."

"Yeah ok. But you have a million more questions to answer."

"Ok done. Now bye." She put her helmet on and zoomed off.

As much as I was happy for her, I was scared for myself. Mom was sleeping when I had left for my class but I could tell that it wasn't a good nap. One of the reasons why I didn't like being a daughter.

While climbing up the stairs to my apartment, there was an unusual noise coming from my place. I went in and asked "Why are you all so loud, I could hear you from.." I was cut by my mom who stuffed sweet in my mouth and hugged me tight. She kissed my forehead while trying to fight back her tears.

" Congratulations! Your wedding is fixed. It's going to be in the next 6 months." Mom said with a big smile and it was followed by a lot more hugs. I was happy and terrified at the same time. Now I get what Sarah was feeling. It just couldn't be expressed in words.

My father came up to me while I was busy with my phone. I stood up when I noticed he was approaching me. "Congratulations beta. I'm really happy for you. I see you are not very happy. Don't worry, he's a really nice guy. If I didn't like him, I wouldn't have allowed his family to see you." I tried to smile, thinking about how much I'll miss my family when I'm gone. "All you need to worry about is shopping." He smiles and I smiled back. Nothing would cheer me up better than shopping, apart from food of course.