chapter 12 - 1000 times

I ran inside the kitchen trying to avoid him. He entered the house and looked for me. He seemed a little tensed when he couldn’t see me around and I noticed a sense of relief on his face when he saw me in the kitchen. He smiled and went into his room. After a while he came out of his room and sat on the couch. I poured water in a glass and as I approached to give it to him, I could feel my heart beats pacing. I handed him the glass of water and stood there. He smiled at me again, which was a little calming.

“Did you sign the document?”, he asked, holding the half filled glass of water.

“No”, I tried to sound stern, though my hands and feet were cold with fear.

“Why?”

“It doesn’t make sense. I thought it was a joke.”

“ You really think I’m the kind of guy who 'jokes'?. We’ve been married for a month and you couldn’t figure this out either?”, he was getting angry but was also trying to suppress it.

Don’t fall weak Safa, you are not a loser. You can not be scared of him. But take a step back before he empties the rest of the water in the glass on you.

“But those rules and privileges are very unusual and absurd.” I took the file and read it, “ no eating without your permission. Shower just once a week, it’s unhygienic.” I noticed his hands gripping tightly to the glass.

“If you know how to take care of yourself, you don’t need to shower often. I expect you to keep yourself clean at all times. And as far as eating is concerned, you do realize that you need to keep a watch at it right.”

It was heartbreaking that he pointed out at my weight. I didn’t know how to answer that, without wasting anytime I went to the next point, “ what about not entering 'your’ room, why do we even have separate rooms? We are legally married and you…”

He cut me off in the middle and smashed the glass on the floor. There was water and pieces of glass scattered all around the floor. He pulled me by my arm, a few pieces of glass pierced into my feet and shooting pains erupted and went up my legs. His eyes were piercing into mine.

“Don’t you dare talk to me like this ever again. Maybe this is how your mother talks to your father but this bullshit will not work with me.”

Even with all the pain and fear in me, I said, “ please don’t bring my family into this.”

“Just shut up. You are not allowed to back answer. I don’t want to hear another word. You need to be taught how to behave with your husband. Clearly you have no manners.” He pushed me onto the floor and went into his room.

Tears started rolling down my eyes. There were blood stains on the floor and I looked at my feet, pieces of glass were stuck to it. I tried to remove a piece and it stung more. Ayaan stepped out of his room with a book and pen. He bent to my level and looked at me with his dark eyes.

“If you are going to behave like a child, you are going to be punished like one. Write 1000 times that you will not disrespect or back answer your husband. And you are not moving an inch from here until you are done with your punishment.”, he threw the book at me and went into his room, slamming the door.

I couldn’t decide which was more painful, my heart or my feet. The wounds on my feet would heal but I doubted about the state of my heart. I got into this marriage with a lot of hopes and dreams and one by one, he was crushing them. Every time I picked out a piece of glass from my feet, my exposed wound stung and caused more pain. The more I tried to suppress my tears, the more they wanted to free themselves from my eyes. All of that, just for standing up for myself. How could he be so heartless towards his wife. What was wrong with him? His reactions weren’t even close to normal.

Struggling to think straight, I thought it was best to do as he said. I took the book and started writing. My vision constantly kept getting blurry and I would wipe out my tears to have a clear view.

I will not disrespect or back answer my husband.

It had been more than an hour since he slammed the door. He came outside his room while I was writing and he looked at me. It was then that he saw blood stains on the floor and noticed my feet. He stood there for a moment and went back into his room, he had changed into different clothes when he stepped out again. Without saying a word, he went out of the house, locking it behind him.

At that moment, I didn't care where he was going leaving me alone in the middle of the night. It was as if my brain wasn't functioning, all it could process was that I will not disrespect or back answer my husband. I wasn't finished with my punishment when he was back, this time with a paper bag. He took out a medicine box and placed it on the table.

“Use it. It’ll help heal your wounds”, he said without looking at me. He was the one who was sick, he needed the medicine box more than I did. When I didn’t say anything, he asked, “did you finish writing?”

I had to answer as I wasn’t sure what he would do if I didn’t, “almost”.

“That’s enough”, he said and snatched the book and pen from me. “Hope you have learnt your lesson. Remember this,” he said pointing to my feet, “the next time you think of disrespecting me. Now go to your room.”

I tried to get up, with support from the couch while he stood there looking at me. A tear escaped my eye when pressure fell on my feet, it was too painful to walk by myself. I still managed to move to my empty room.  He was watching me struggle but didn’t move an inch to offer any help. Instead, he looked at me like I deserved every single thing I was going through. Surely he was guilty, otherwise he wouldn’t had got the medicine box but he didn’t show it. He stood there like a rock, immune to empathy.

I didn’t know where exactly to sit, it was a barren space with hard wooden flooring. He came inside the room and laid down a blanket and pillow along with the first aid kit. He looked at me for a moment and hesitantly left the room, closing the door after him. I moved with pain towards the blanket, trying not to put much pressure on my feet and sat down. I took out an antiseptic cream and applied it to my wounds, the stinging pain caused my stomach to churn. I curled up into a ball on the floor and stared at the peach colored wall in front of me. My brain felt numb, unable to think of anything, my eyes were swollen and dry from all the crying. After a while, my eyes were getting heavy, my eye lids were about to hug each other when the door to my room swung open and I immediately sat up.

“What the hell is this?”, he was holding a plate in his hand with food that I had prepared.

“I.. I…”

“You know, for a moment there I felt that I went too far. You made me feel guilty with your crocodile tears and wounded feet. But no, you deserve every bit of pain that you are suffering. I cannot believe you made this disgusting piece of shit for me to eat.”

I was scared, I had to explain myself, “I don’t know to cook. I prepare food with the help of cooking tutorials. I didn’t have access to Internet, that’s why…”

“Oh so now this is my fault, is it? I need to eat this shit because it’s my fault. Is that what your trying to tell?”, by the end of the sentence he was screaming and I struggled to say another word. I shook my head saying no, fresh set of tears making my vision blurry.

“I don’t want to see your face, you better not come in front of me again.” He went to the kitchen and dumped the food along with the plate into the trash bag and stormed into his room.

__________

Hello my lovely readers 😍,

Trust me, this chapter was extremely hard for me to write. It took me a long time just to get everything right and depict Safa's state of mind. Please help me improve by providing your feedbacks to make me a better writer.
Don’t forget to hit the star if you liked this chapter.

Much love ❤️❤️❤️