Chapter 7 - Wedding night

I observed that the past couple of months, my nervousness had just kept getting worse and it was at it's peak that very moment. My hands and feet were cold. This was worse than the time my parents had been called in to school because I got violent with a classmate. In my defense, he was a bully and calling a girl fat and ugly was very impolite. I didn't want to dirty my hands by touching him so I hit him with my hockey stick. If my aim was right, I wouldn't had to see him for the next few days because of his broken ankle.

Ayaan hesitantly moved towards the bed and sat next to me. There was an awkward silence for a while before he said, "you must be tired."

I had goosebumps. It was the first time we were talking, only because he wasn't thrilled about exchanging numbers before we got married. It wouldn't had been that bad but it was worth the wait.

"Yes." That's all I could say but I didn't hear it myself. Oh good lord I lost my voice, this was not supposed to happen. I had drank a bucket of water that day and yet my mouth was dry. I cleared my throat and repeated ,"Yes, you must be too right?"

"Not really."

We again shared the awkward silence. There were a million things that I had jotted down just in case such a situation occurred, there was a lot to talk but my mind and mouth weren't co-operating.

"Give me you phone." He demanded.

I handed him my phone without thinking, it was a reflex. I tried to peep and noticed him typing something and his phone rang. "My number is in the call log, you can save it, but not under my name." He sounded mischievous, which made me relax.

"Why?" I blushed. Clearly there was nothing to blush about but I couldn't help it. My body didn't seem to be under my control.

"I would prefer if you didn't address me by my name. So think of something else.", he smiled and got up. His sudden movement got me nervous again. "Why don't you change into something comfortable and sleep. Meanwhile I'll go get changed in the washroom."

I got up as soon as he shut the door. I couldn't wait to get out of that dress. My mom and I had packed my bag but when I was out doing the last minute shopping, Marwa repacked it and I had no clue what she kept. None of the clothes in there were appropriate, they were either see through or showed a lot of skin. I didn't have much time so I picked up which was the least skin showing and changed into it. I was not at all comfortable and didn't know what to do to make myself feel better but I knew one thing for sure, mom was going to be left with only one daughter in a couple of days. I was just placing my jewelry in the box when he knocked.

"You can come in. I have changed", I was so impressed. Such a gentleman. He didn't have to knock, after all it was his bedroom. I couldn't be happier.

The moment he saw me, he stopped. He shut his eyes and clenched his jaws, "What the hell are you wearing?" he sounded angry and it scared me.

" It's... it's...." I didn't know what to say.

He threw the towel in his hand at me and said, "cover yourself up and never ever dress like that again."

"I'm... I'm... sorry. It's the first night so my..."

"Oh just shut up." He came up to me and held me by my arms very tightly, " You are my wife, not a whore. This day onwards, you wear nothing without my approval. Do you understand."

My eyes filled up and I nodded with fear before he let go of me. I ran straight into the washroom and locked myself in. I just stood there frozen, unable to understand what just happened. Tears just rolled down my eyes and I sobbed trying not to make any sound. My husband just referred to me as a 'whore', just because of my attire. It pained me when I thought of it, hurting me more, every time I recalled it. Though I tried to calm myself down, it kept coming right back at me.

I looked at myself in the mirror but everything looked blurry, I just couldn't stop my tears. I splashed cold water on my face and looked again. My eyes and nose had turned pink. My arms had red strips from his tight grip. I was too scared to step out but I couldn't stay there all night. After spending a good ten minutes inside the washroom contemplating, I came outside hoping that he was asleep, but he was standing right next the door. I took a step back when he moved towards me.

He held my palms, this time very gently and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I'm just exhausted and I wasn't expecting you to be dressed that way. I wasn't in my right mind and it was really uncalled for. Please forgive me." He sounded genuine and his eyes reflected guilt.

" That's alright, I can understand." I smiled assuring that I'm ok, even though I wasn't.

As embarrassed as he was, he started scratching his head and smiled, " So shall we sleep?"

"Ok", I was surprised at this sudden switch in his behavior. I didn't know anyone could calm down in a split second. A while back he was like Satan and within a moment he became as innocent as a baby.

I was too tired and exhausted to reason out what had happened. Even though he apologized.

He went and turned off the lights and switched on the night stand. He remembered from our chats that I was scared of darkness. I blushed at that thought. Even though I had slept the entire journey, in no time I was fast asleep.

**********

"Get up." Ayaan said in a soft tone.

"Allah please let me sleep, I'm still tired." I murmured not realizing that it was Ayaan. As soon as it hits me that I wasn't in my place anymore, I sat up straight.

"Its time for fajr. Go and make wuduh (ablution), we'll pray together."

I looked at the clock and it was 5:00 am. It was the first time I had gotten up that early, apart of Ramadan. Though I was extremely sleepy, I felt good and proud of myself.

I dragged myself out of the bed and into the washroom. I could feel his eyes on me, noticing my every move and it made me very uncomfortable. When I got back to the room, he was waiting for me with my musallah (prayer mat) ready. Wasn't he sweet?. My first prayer with my husband, I smiled to myself. Soon after we were done with the prayer, Ayaan went to bed and said, " You can complete your nap. No one will be up until 9. All are tired." He smiled and turned, his back facing me.

Not sure if he slept or not, I went to bed. It took me a while before I could fall asleep as the thought if last night was still fresh. I didn't want to be scared of my husband. He apologized and he deserves another chance. When he can behave normally with me then I too can do the same. At least I learnt something about him, always be covered around him. We didn't really get a chance to talk more, things would definitely be different if we knew each other better.

I set my alarm for 8:00 am. My phone was still on airplane mode, I turned it off and notifications filled in. Majority of them from Sarah and Marwa, both worried that I hadn't responded. I texted Marwa first and forwarded it to Sarah that I'll talk to them when I meet them. I kept my phone aside and fell asleep.

__________

Hello my lovely readers 🥰,

Hope you liked this chapter and if you did, you know where the star is😋.

What do you think was running in Ayaan's mind when he saw her in that night dress?
I would love to know your thoughts on this one.

Much love ❤️ ❤️❤️