Leave it (49)

As much as they wanted to let Honey sleep, they woke her up when the train rolled into the station. She felt a bit better, and even more determined. Fred had to help her get off the train and up into the carriage, but she wasn't having any trouble besides that. He helped her every year anyway, so neither of them minded.

They entered the hall as loud as always, pretending that nothing had changed and ignoring the looks they got from the teachers at the staff table. They were confused, having expected Honey to stay home, or at least expected her and her friends to not be so cheerful. She looked weak and fragile, and it was obvious that she was sick to them, but her smile was as bright as ever. If they didn't know, they wouldn't have guessed that it was that series, except when she turned her back and both of the boys smile faded more quickly than they normally did. They themselves looked worn down, along with Mable.

After dinner, Honey's head of the house, professor sprout, pulled her and Mable to the side. She needed to speak to them personally about how the year would go, and if any accommodations needed to be made. Honey said no, but if she could have a little leeway about getting to class on time, that would be appreciated. She made a joke about being slow, and was satisfied when it made her laugh, and say that it was fine and she would spread the word.

When classes started, they were all surprised, to say the least about the new professor, Umbridge's teaching style. She didn't want anyone to use magic in her class and expected them to learn from theory textbooks. Everyone had plenty to say about her, not that she cared. None of the teachers must have told her about Honey's issue, because the first day that Honey was late she yelled at her. It happened a month into school, and it was her first bad day since she had gotten there.

As soon as she woke up she was riddled with pain, and she didn't have to check if she was running a fever or not because by the way, her skin felt like it was going to fall off, she knew she was. Part of her wanted to go home then and there, but one look at Mable was enough for her to push herself up out of bed. She hadn't gotten good at hiding her pity, even though all it did was make Honey mad. She wanted to do things on her own, but she could hardly even sit up on her own. Mable helped her to stand, cringing when she did in pain.

"Are you sure you can make it today?" Mable asked, not completely sure what to do as she pulled out her medicines that no longer worked as well as they use too due to her body becoming resistant to it.

"Yes," She answered shortly, moving to get herself ready for the day.

They were only five minutes late for defense, which was their first class of the day. Honey had a complete breakdown while trying to put her shirt on, and Mable had to calm her down and help her, telling her that she could stay if she needed, but Honey was too stubborn for that, as always.

"You two are late," Umbridge said in her sickly sweet voice when the two took their seats. Fred, who was sat next to her, could tell she was having a rough morning.

"Sorry," Honey mumbled at the same time as Mable.

"And what, may I ask, was the cause of your tardiness?" Umbridge asked, making everyone who knew raise an eyebrow.

"I had a slow start," Honey said so that Mable didn't have too. It was clear that they weren't getting out of that one, even though they weren't even that late, and had permission to be.

"That is no excuse for-" Umbridge started, but Honey interrupted her.

"I have permission to be a little late in the morning, remember?" She asked, in a quick tone. She didn't feel like putting up with her that day.

"I do not remember, and you will speak to me with respect," She said in a loud, snappy tone. "The only reason students have to be late is if they are sick or dying, which-"

"I am doing both of," She said in an obvious tone, "It appears as though you were not informed, or just didn't listen when you were told so."

"If you were dying I would know," She said, offended, "Detention, for lying and for being late."

"Why would she lie about dying?" Fred said suddenly, seeing that Honey was just going to take it. He was angry, very much so.

"Are you backing up her story, Mr. Weasley, because I will not hesitate to put you into detention besides her."

"Why would she lie about something like that?" He asked her again, louder than before. "I wish she was lying because then she wouldn't-"

"Just leave it, Fred," Honey said quietly when he stopped himself mid-sentence.

Fred did and stayed quiet for the rest of class. He couldn't believe that Umbridge would accuse her of lying about such a thing, and he was angry that she had to put up with it. He took her hand as soon as they were out of the classroom, fixing his steps to match her slow ones. They were both going to the same place, and he wasn't in any rush.

"I'll let McGonagall know what happened, and she'll fix it," Fred said to her as they walked.

Honey just smiled at him as he kissed the back of her hand casually. Fred was always doing things like that- those sweet little gestures that he didn't know got her through the day. If he wasn't there, she wouldn't have bothered going back to school.

A/N: For the people who don't follow me, I've decided to do updates every other Monday. I know that sounds like a really long time, but I assure you that updates are not limited to that, but you guys will for sure have one on those days. I'm in my senior year of high school, and my classes are way tougher than I thought they would be. Thank you all and don't forget to comment what you think!