Two Fears Come True (70)

The then large group headed to the great hall where they heard that Harry was causing a commotion to help get the students to a safe place before things started getting dangerous. McGonnagal originally wanted everyone under the legal age of 17 to hide in the dorms but that, of course, did not sit right when more than half of the students. Voldemort had long ago sent word to every ally that he had. Every person on his side, every dark creature and being were all headed to Hogwarts to fight and it was not going to be pretty. Luckily the students sent word to the order who did the same thing and though the odds weren't exactly even, they had a fighting chance.

When the death eaters began arriving, they rallied against the edge of the property and waited for orders from their leader. This gave those inside the castle time to set up borders and defenses, starting with a protective bubble around the school and blowing up the bridge that lead to the main entrance. This wouldn't hold them back for long, but long enough as more and more supporters were arriving by the minute to fight for their side. 

Fred and George watched silently from a tower as the group on the other side began to assemble. The giants, in particular, made them nervous as everyone else were as small as ants except the large creatures who could clearly be seen. From the woods came spiders larger than they had ever seen before mixed with pixies and countless other magical beings. 

"We can do this, right?" George asked Fred curiously, glancing to the side to look at him. He seemed to be deep in thought, chewing his lip nervously. His smile came forcefully then.

"We can do anything," He said, though his tone was deceiving. His chipper attitude towards the situation had dropped almost completely and was replaced with one more solemn. 

"I hope you're right," He said, glancing back. 

"I'm actually on the left," He answered casually. George couldn't help but smile at that.

"Be careful," George warned, "In case we get split up, which I hope doesn't happen." 

"I doubt it will, you're stuck to me like glue," He joked, "I know I don't say it much but I love you. You were the best brother I could have ever asked for."

"I love you too, man," He said, nudging his shoulder. "Now let's go kick ass. No need for goodbyes."

When the battle started, time stopped. There was only fighting, there had only ever been fighting and blood and death and it was seemingly neverending. The death eaters aimed to kill and the order to stun, it was unfair fighting under normal circumstances but in those times, there were no rules. Fred found himself separated from George but reunited with another brother, one who had come a long way to get there. He found himself fighting beside Percy who was battling and cracking jokes at his old boss, the minister. He would have laughed had he not been preoccupied with a battle of his own.

Covered in blood and dirt, aching all over, he finally managed to disarm the man he was fighting. The man was ruthless and though he didn't recognize all the spells being thrown his way, he knew it wouldn't have been good if they had hit him. The man to scramble for his wand when it flew from his hand so Fred lurched forward to get to it first, and was surprised that he had actually been aiming for the suit of armor next to them. He pulled out the long sword that the metal statue had been holding and pointed it at Fred without hesitation.

The man was slow, he was hurt from his fall and they both knew that Fred could have easily stopped him, but he didn't. Not even when he was right in front of him did he move out of his way or attempt to block what was sure to be a final blow. They locked eyes, and Fred recognized him finally as Antonin Dolohov before pain assaulted his senses. He didn't feel fear, only relief when Dolohov got over his surprise at his willingness and taken advantage of it. 

He stepped backward, they wall catching him from falling and letting his knees give out underneath him. At the same time that he backed away, an explosion hit a wall near to them making it rain heavy rocks and debris. The sound made his ears ring and before the dust cleared away he heard to people calling his name, Percy and Ron, as they desperately moved the rocks under the impression he was buried underneath them. He tried to speak but was overcome by a cough from the amount of dust that he had inhaled, making them lookup.

"You thought I'd go out that easy?" He questioned weakly. 

The two felt terror fill their sense at the sight of him. He was propped up against the wall with a grin on his face. Blood leaked out of the corners of his mouth and his hands rested at his side next to the once silver sword that went clean through his abdomen. He was covered in more dust from the explosion than he had been before and his clothes were quickly being stained red.  Looking at his body could be comparable to a horror film and yet he grinned. 

They didn't know what to do, but they knew enough not to remove the sword from where it was. They each took one of his arms and gently tried to lift him off the ground, forgetting in their panic that they could have simply used a spell, and began helping him walk to the great hall where medical attention was being provided to those who needed it. He groaned when they lifted him up but with the exception of his rugged breathing and occasional sounds of discomfort, he stayed silent. 

Madam Pomfrey let out a small shriek when she looked up to the boys calling for help. She had never seen an injury like it before as swords were not common at all. She leaped from the side of the person that she had just finished healing and pointed for the boys to place him on the ground. The rest of the family were already gathered there as the battle was called to a temporary end for loved ones to be gathered and mourned while the Dark Lord waited for Harry to go and see him. They gathered quickly around him, leaving the bodies of both Remus and Sirius and letting Harry take their place at the two men's side, shielding Fred from the curious eyes of those around him. 

George launched himself onto the ground next to him as Madam Pomfrey inspected him, trying to keep calm just like the rest of them. He was laid on his side to show clearly that the sword had gone right through and at an angle. It entered below his belly button and excited towards the middle of his back. When Fred saw George he began to laugh, showing off blood-stained teeth. The laugh was not hysterical or bitter, it almost sounded happy. As if someone cracked a joke that the rest couldn't hear.

"I'm not sorry," He grunted out through the pain. "For doing it. I'm only sorry to leave you. I hope you can forgive me."

Everyone was frozen in shock, tears running without their knowledge. They had never in their wildest dreams or worst nightmares imagined what he was implying. He was implying that he had done it on purpose. 

"I forgive you," George said tearfully, his hands shaking furiously. "I still love you even if you're being selfish."

"I'm glad," He said simply, smiling as another hand appeared in his own. He saw pink out of the corner of his watering eyes and let out another laugh that made more blood leak from his mouth as he felt himself fading away. It was Tonks.

Honey was waiting for him.

THE END