Chapter Two

But when a young lady is to be a heroine [...] Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way.-Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

"That's it, I want to rip my co-captain's head off," Alyce growls as she sits down at our lunch table. "That bitch is unbearable."

Alyce's cheer co-captain, Mackenzie Lites, is the kind of girl who could make you cry in fear just by her stare. She's pretty, with her brown waves and chocolate eyes that has boys hypnotized. It's rather unfortunate that her personality isn't as sweet as her looks. From what Alyce tells us, her personality is more like a bag of dirty gym socks.

I've never had a personal problem with Mackenzie before. Sure, she is kind of like a machete, chopping down everything in her path, but I have my own trail to navigate. We've never had time for each other.

"Oh, c'mon Aly," Jasper says. "You're just exaggerating. She doesn't seem that bad."

"Of course you would say that," Alyce grumbles. "Any boy would look past her personality because of what they see. She's pretty; we get it."

Katia chuckles at Alyce's harsh words. "Sorry, babe, but I have to agree with Aly on this. Mackenzie isn't someone I would ever mess with."

"I would," Thalia chimes in, giving Alyce a high five. "I got your back if you ever want to jump her, Aly."

Alyce grins at Thalia, contemplation dancing in her eyes. "That Queen Bitch does need to go down..."

"You guys are so dramatic," Jasper shakes his head. "What happened to spreading cheer and love? You're literally a cheerleader, for fuck's sake. Think happy thoughts, guys."

Thalia stares at her brother in disgust. "I can't believe we're related."

"Don't tell me you invited her to the party," Alyce stares at her co-captain across the room with disgust, who is currently surrounded by three guys. "I'm in control now, but with some alcohol in me, I can't promise I won't attack her."

Jasper laughs nervously, hiding behind his girlfriend. "I mean, we invited a lot of people. Who keeps track anymore?" He laughs again, his eyes wide at Alyce's glare.

"Her blood is on your hands." Alyce replies simply.

❀ ❀ ❀

Mackenzie Lites and Alyce White sure as hell don't get along. They don't even try to. I sit in on Alyce's cheer practice so she can give me a ride home after, and so far, the two captains have just been yelling at each other nonstop. They can't seem to agree on anything.

Just then, a tall figure sits down beside me and chuckles at the banter between the two girls. I glance beside me and find Nolan Jackson, casually watching the practice.

He catches me staring and looks back. "Hey, you're in my grade, right? Is it...Diana?"

Without thinking, I say, "We've gone to the same school for four years. You're not even sure what my name is?"

"So it's...not Diana?"

Four years of high school in the same grade together for this bullshit of an introduction?

He blushes shyly at this and runs a hand through his hair, almost nervously. "I'm sorry, there's a lot of people at our school."

"But I have no problem knowing your name, Nolan."

Nolan laughs a little, an oddly nice sound, grinning as if he doesn't have a care in the world. "Um...my name is Noah."

My stomach does cartwheels and I almost curl up into a ball from embarrassment. Just yesterday, Alyce had reminded me that his name was actually Noah and not Nolan. I huff stubbornly, "I knew that."