Chapter Thirty Nine

At first I thought you were a constellation. I made a map of your stars, then I had a revelation: You're as beautiful as endless. You're the universe I'm helpless in.-Sleeping At Last, Venus

Hunter's house was an average, suburban house. He once told me about his home on the Westside, decked with a pool, home theatre and gaming room, but his parents decided to move to a quieter place once Hunter's baby brother came along. He's only five years old, currently out of town with his parents. Hunter has the whole house to himself, so of course he decides to invite two hundred people over.

Hunter didn't give a shit about what got broken, from what I could tell. All the delicate objects were still out on display and when a kid had knocked over a vase, he hadn't really cared. He made the boy clean it up, but other than that, he didn't seem to mind the fact that he was now down a vase.

"Hunter's parents are loaded," Noah explains. "They're not really materialistic, which is why they moved here, but anything that gets broken can easily be replaced to them."

"Huh," Thalia says with a wry smile. "I guess that's why they decided to have another kid. We all know Hunter's a little broken in the head, so it makes sense that they're trying to replace their mistake."

Damon snorts, "I can't imagine why. Every kid the James' have popped out have been little demons. They should've stopped at Hunter."

We all laugh and Hunter comes up from behind us, draping his arms over both Noah and I's shoulders. "Hey, we may be demons, but we're pretty." Hunter winks, which causes us to laugh again.

"Looks fade, babe," Alyce crosses her arms. "You should probably start working on a skill soon. Your looks are already leaving you; you don't have much time left."

Hunter's jaw drops in disbelief at his girlfriend, "why am I dating you again?"

"Because I'm pretty and a delight to be around," Alyce states in a duh tone.

Hunter snaps his fingers, "oh, that's right, because you look hot in a cheerleading outfit."

Alyce slaps him on the back of his head and he lets go of Noah and I, wrapping his arms around Alyce's waist and snuggling his face into her neck. She giggles and hugs him back.

"Make it fucking stop," Damon covers his eyes. "PDA makes me want to gauge my eyes out."

Hunter then proceeds to kiss Alyce passionately in the middle of the living room. We all groan in response and Hunter flips us off before leading Alyce upstairs.

I spot Joshua leaning against the wall, talking to a pretty girl with blonde hair. I think it's the same girl from the skiing trip he had sat with on the bus. I find myself looking for an extra second and Joshua catches my eyes, grinning a little.

I will always love Josh, just not in the same way as before. I will always love him for the memories he gave me. For teaching me how to understand poetry through a broken heart. For being my first love. I will always love him for being him.

It is said that one's first love will always hold a special place in your heart, and I have found this to be true. Joshua Williams will always be someone I will hold close to my heart, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He taught me how to survive, whereas Noah taught me how to live.