Chapter Fourteen

Love isn't perfect or flawless, it's messy and real and honestly, that's the beauty of it.-l.s. via whisper

Joshua Williams still looks as good as ever. After not seeing him for months, I almost forgot how much he glows like the sun. He is like a walking summer; bright and beautiful and warm. Every bad memory he comes with is countered by the blinding light that is Joshua Williams.

It didn't matter that he had cheated on me or how he had begged to get back together with me. All that matters is that he is standing right in front of me, with the glow of the fire against his tanned skin and his baby blue eyes watching me so closely. He does not have the right to affect me so much.

Noah clears his throat uncomfortably. "Care for an introduction?"

I watch as Josh glances at Noah for the first time, questions bouncing around in his head. He is as easy to read as he was the day he left. "Joshua," Josh smiles, but it is forced and unfamiliar. "You are...?"

"Noah," He replies just as tightly. "How do you two know each other?"

I almost roll my eyes. Noah pretty much knows the whole story. "We used to date," I answer for Josh, giving Noah a warning glare to which he does not acknowledge. "Do you mind if we talk in private?"

"Nah, I think I'll stay right here." Noah smirks and leans back into the couch further.

Josh regards Noah with disdain. "She asked you to leave."

"And I said I'm going to stay." Noah challenges, looking as calm as the centre of a storm.

I know Josh well enough to know that he will snap. He doesn't like a challenge, much like Noah. Except, with Noah, it's easy to calm him down and get him to be rational. With Josh, he punches first and thinks later.

"Noah, please." I say in a quiet voice, making sure my message gets across. Noah looks at me hesitantly, the uncertainty dancing in his eyes.

Finally, Noah gets up from the couch. He moves towards Josh. "No funny business, John, I'm watching you. One wrong move and I'll drag you out of here with my own hands."

Josh gives a lazy smile. "It's Josh."

Noah sticks his tongue out at him immaturely after Josh turns away from him. A small laugh escapes my lips and I see Noah smile over Josh's shoulder. Noah turns around and walks over to Damon, who is leaning against his backyard fence, presumably also watching our encounter unfold.

"You look beautiful." Josh sits down beside me. I shift away, the proximity making me uncomfortable.

"You look good, too." I manage to say, watching Josh carefully.

Josh smiles, a genuine smile that takes me back to when I was happy with him. "That Noah guy is quite protective. Should I be worried?"

"Why would you be worried?" I ask in confusion.

"I just want to know that the girl I'm in love with isn't falling for someone else." Josh replies easily, as if he hadn't just said words that could raise mountains and collapse buildings.

"Oh, Josh," I can hear the disappointment in my own voice. "You haven't changed one bit."

"I have changed," Josh says with a smile. "I realized I was so stupid to let you go. I want to try again, please?"

If this had been months ago, perhaps I would have said yes. But all I can think about is how I finally realized I don't need Joshua Williams to make me feel good about myself.

I look at Josh right in the eyes as I say, "No."

He looks taken aback for a second, but he doesn't falter to my surprise. "So it is about Noah, isn't it?"