Chapter Forty

Don't know if it's the drink I poured, but I swear I've never loved you more. When you're right here, I come alive.-Bazzi, Paradise

The most shocking part of the night was seeing Harley hanging off of Josh's lips once again. This time, it didn't bother me.

It bothered Noah, though.

"I'm going to beat the shit out of him," Noah growls, but Damon places a hand on his chest, stopping him.

"As much as I love violence, that won't help anything." He says.

"I hate it when you're sensible," Noah grumbles. "You're the one who's supposed to help me beat him up."

Hunter snorts quietly, his mind somewhere else as he shakes his head, "Josh hooked up with two girls tonight: Harley and Quinn. Harley Quinn. Get it?"

Hunter and Alyce had rejoined us half past eleven o'clock. We didn't ask the lovebirds what they had been doing for the hour and a half they were upstairs.

"How are you not mad about this, love?" Noah asks me in disbelief, pointing at the two making out against one of the walls. "Don't you want to choke, preferably Joshua's, stupid neck?"

I shrug nonchalantly, "it's not like Joshua's my property. In fact, I want Joshua to be comfortable enough to move on. I guess it's not ideal that it's with your sister, but it doesn't really matter what I think. It's their lives."

"Wow, that's so mature of you," Alyce says, raising an eyebrow. "I would be petty as hell."

Before Alyce could elaborate, Thalia comes up to us, a red solo cup in her hand and a tired expression on her face. "Lauren said that what we had is over now."

We all try our best to comfort a drunk Thalia, but it proved to be hard when her normal state is angry. She finishes the contents in her cup and tosses it to the side, much to Hunter's dismay. He was about to tell her to pick it up, but he catches one look of her face and silently throws away the cup for her.

"Did she say why?" Alyce asks, rubbing Thalia's shoulder comfortingly.

"Cause I told her what happened between Dylan and I," Thalia chuckles, "any of you guys would forgive me if I hooked up with your brother, right?"

"Well, he's five, so..." Hunter chuckles nervously when Thalia shoots him a glare.

"I obviously didn't mean you," Thalia glowers. "None of you even have brothers, aside from Hunter."

"Don't hook up with Harley," Noah jumps in. "I'd feel obligated to punch you."

Thalia groans, leaning against Alyce's shoulder. "I'm a complete idiot, aren't I?"

"No, you're just in love," Katia says with a quiet laugh.

"Same shit." Thalia deadpans. We all laugh at Thalia's normal pessimism. "I don't want to talk about this anymore. What were you guys talking about before I came and ruined the mood?"

Instead of answering, Noah points to the wall where Joshua and Harley were still going at it.

Thalia's jaw drops in disbelief, "say sike."

I look at them for a moment more, trying to see if I felt anything, but somehow, I didn't. There was no jealousy or resentment towards either of them. The irritation would normally be running through me, the same way her hands ran through his hair or his over her body. Instead, I felt indifference.