Chapter Seventeen

And I will show you off for everything I own, I know it's not what you're used to. See, they could tear me down, take everything I made, I'll still be here next to you.-Brockhampton, Rental

I didn't expect to see Joshua Williams as soon as Alyce parked her car in our school's lot. But there he is, standing in a group with three girls, one of which is Mackenzie.

"Is that...Joshua?" Alyce squints, using a tone of disbelief.

"What the hell is he doing here?" I ask in a tired tone.

As if he had heard me, Josh turns to me and grins. I used to love that smile, now all I feel is distaste. Mackenzie and her friends don't seem to like the fact that Josh is no longer paying attention to them, but he doesn't even seem to notice, or if he does, he doesn't care.

Josh and I had always gone to different schools, but everyone seemed to know his name. We had met at a party Alyce had dragged Thalia and I to for New Years. He was cute but I hadn't been interested at the time; he was too confident and too charming for his own good. I suppose that's what made him want me at the start. It was the first time a girl had never immediately fallen for him.

News spread quickly after Josh and I started dating. Girls I didn't even know were asking about him.

Now that I think about it, I don't miss being his girlfriend, because that was all I ever was anymore. I was somebody else's, not my own person.

"Diana, there you are," Josh smiles. It is weird seeing him at my school. "Pretty as always."

I stare at him warily. "What are you doing here?"

"My school has a day off," He explains. "I thought I'd come visit. Maybe say hi to Damon and thank him for letting us stay at his party."

At the mention of Damon's name, I see Mackenzie's lips curl up at the corners, the closest I've seen to a genuine smile from her. It was a subtle motion, but I noticed. Perhaps there really is something there.

Mackenzie catches my meaningful stare and quickly looks away, dropping any sign of kindness from her face. I couldn't even begin to understand how carefree, childish and kindhearted Damon had fallen for her. She may be as beautiful as a rose, but her thorns have proven to be sharper than most.

"You couldn't have just shot him a Facebook message?" Alyce asks dryly.

Josh doesn't falter. "I wouldn't miss an opportunity to see Diana."

Alyce rolls her eyes beside me, but doesn't say anything on my behalf. She glances my way. "I'm going to find Katia. You can deal with him, right?"

I nod reassuringly and she leaves me with Josh and the three girls standing off to the side. I know Josh won't cross a line.

"Damon's car is here, he's probably by the lockers." I tell him.

"Take me there?" A breathless little grin appears. The worst part is he knows how attractive he is.

"I know where Damon's locker is," Mackenzie offers, blinking up at him flirtatiously. "I can show you."

Josh turns back to the girls, as if suddenly remembering they're beside him. "Thanks for the offer, baby doll, but I'm trying to win back a girl I let go of eight months ago."