Chapter Forty One

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.-Anonymous, Hamilton Daily News,  but often attributed to Albert Einstein

People realize they're in love in different ways. One person may find their mind often drifting to a certain person while lost in their thoughts. Someone else could feel like being around their person is like the first breath after being on the verge of drowning. Another may feel like the arms of their person are home.

It doesn't really matter how someone realizes they're in love, that's never the important part. The important part is realizing that you are in love; despite all the hardships and rocky roads it took to get there, you found yourself falling in love. That's usually the most beautiful part of a story.

This doesn't apply to Thalia. When she fell in love with Lauren, it was the heartbreak of her story. It created a form of nostalgia for a relationship that never even happened quite yet.

Midnight ice cream typically meant something was wrong, or something was to be celebrated. In our case, with a bunch of drunk teenagers and a crying girl, it wasn't the best situation.

Jasper ordered all the ice cream while the rest of us found a booth to sit at. Since it was late at night, the parlour was empty aside from the lone worker. As soon as we sat down, Thalia crosses her arms and rests her head against the table.

A girl with auburn hair tied into a low hairstyle and dark, watchful eyes approaches our booth, an apron tied around her waist and a tray full of sundaes balancing on her arm. Her name tag read Brielle.

"Brielle?" Katia asks in surprise. Brielle looks up at Katia and mirrors the same, surprised expression. "Guys, this is Brielle. Our moms are best friends, but Brielle goes to a private school on the other side of town."

"Hey, it's been a while, Kat," Brielle wears a sweet smile. She turns to us, "private schools suck, but I'm in an all girls school so I guess it's not that bad. There are a lot of pretty girls in uniforms."

Katia grins up at her family friend, "Brielle, this is Diana, Noah, my boyfriend Jasper and his twin sister, Thalia."

"It's nice to meet you guys," Brielle gives us our sundaes. She tucks the tray under her arm. "It's on me today...seems like a rough night."

"You have no idea," Thalia grumbles dryly, poking at the ice cream.

Noah's arm rests comfortably on top my seat, hovering around my shoulders. Him and Jasper exchange a knowing look and Jasper says, "man, if Hunter or Damon were single, they'd be all over that girl."

Katia raises an eyebrow, "you guys think she's hot?"

"Katy, even Lauren, who's half blind without her contacts, could see she's hot," Thalia deadpans. "Why is the world full of pretty girls?"

"I'm not complaining," Jasper shrugs, kissing Katia's cheek. "Look how pretty my girlfriend is."

"Stop being so cheesy," Katia turns to me, amusement sneaking into her voice. "What do you think, Diana?"

I look over at the counter, where Brielle is looking at her fingernails in utter boredom. Her hair fell into messy waves and seemed to be on the shorter side, tied back into a low ponytail with stray strands framing her pale face. Even from here, I could see a trail of freckles across the bridge of her nose, which I found to be quite endearing. Accentuating her slim features were her eyes; they held a certain intensity that would throw anyone off.