Chapter 6

It was very difficult for Kathy and George to talk whilst he was driving because he couldn't face her enough for her to lipread. As a result, during the journey Kathy told him her news and George would either nod or laugh as he listened.

"Nearly there," He told her as they turned into a smart road of semi - detached houses.

She felt nervous about meeting George's parents. How would they react to him being with someone who was deaf? She was always worried that people would think her unfriendly or worse when she didn't reply in conversations and things. The car slowed down as George pulled into the driveway of a neat house with a well tended garden.

"What a lovely house!"

George smiled at her. "One of the first things I did with money from The Beatles was to buy mum and dad a house. I bought this one as a compromise. I wanted them to move somewhere nicer but they wanted to stay near their friends. They're happy here though. Dad loves gardening and there's plenty of space for when the grandkids come round!"

Kathy nodded. "It looks a nice area though."

"Yeah, it's OK!" He looked up. A woman in her early fifites, with grey - blonde hair came rushing down the drive, followed by a dark haired man of a similar age. "Parent alert!"

He started to get out of the car. Kathy followed him. She watched as his parents swamped George in hugs. To her surprise, he didn't seem embarressed by the welcome. Instead, he seemed just as pleased to see his parents as they were to see him. Kathy felt her heart swell with even more love for George. He was a gentle simple soul in many ways she realised. Just a young man pleased at being back with his mum and dad. Hardly the superstar musician the press tried to make you believe.

"Mum, dad, this is Kathy Marshall. I've told you all about her." He squeezed Kathy's hand to make sure she was aware of what he was saying. "Kathy my love, this is my mum Louise and this is my dad, Harry."

As he expected, Louise Harrison greeted Kathy with a big hug, startling her. His father was a little more formal. George was pleased to see that they had both remembered to make sure they looked at Kathy before they spoke to her. Greetings over, George took Kathy's hand and followed his parents into the house. They were taken through to a neat dining room. George gestured for Kathy to sit down. Louise reappeared with food and a huge pot of tea.

"I knew you would have had something at Kathy's house George love but I know what you're like!" She smiled as she looked at Kathy, "Don't feel you have to eat love," she said to her, "George has already said you've eaten. Have something if you fancy. I've deliverately made something we can finish off tomorrow so nothings wasted"

"Thank you." Kathy smiled politely and took a plate. She spooned some of the casserole onto it and set it down in front of her. George was, much to amusement, already eating as though he'd never been fed. She took a forkful of the food. "This is amazing Mrs Harrison! Wow! Could I have the recipe. I love cooking. I'd like to try this on my dad!"

"Less of the Mrs Harrison," George's mother chided her, "It's Louise and of course you can have the recipe girl. It's nice to know our George's lady friend likes cooking. Enjoys his food does our George! Be useful that when you and our George are wed!

"Mum! Stop it. I warned you about match making!"

Kathy was now giggling. George squeezed her hand and rolled his eyes at his mums comment about marriage.

Louise Harrison was lovely Kathy thought. But could she talk? Kathy found she talked non stop and very quickly. So quick infact that there were times when she completly lost the thread of what she was saying. She would laugh when she saw George doing so or nod when there were silences, hoping it was the right kind of response."

 Finally, meal over, it was now past 10pm. George collected their bags from the car and took Kathy up to the room she would be sleeping in. Once in the room, he pushed the door shut. He walked over to Kathy and held her. Smiling, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"You OK?" he whispered.

She nodded. "Bit tired, but glad  to be on our own for a bit. You?"

He nodded then kissed her again. The kiss grew increasingly passionate. Kathy couldn't help but respond, her body making clear to both herself and George how turned on she was. She moaned softly and leaned against him, breathless. He held her, kissing her head.

"I wish I could hold you all night Kathy my love."

"So do I." She admitted, looking into his eyes. She smiled to herself.

"What's so amusing?"

"I was thinking of something mum said before I left today that's all."

"About me?"

"Kind of."

"Spill."

Blushing furiously, Kathy shook her head,

"Tell me or I'll tickle you!"

"George don't!" she backed away from him in alarm. "You know I hate being tickled!"

He came after her, laughing. He cornered and began to tickle her. She fought him off then began to shout.

"Shhhhh!" he grinned, silencing her with a kiss, "Mum and dad will hear you! Come on, tell me what your mum said."

Kathy looked at him. "OK. Come and sit down then."

She sat down on the bed and opened her handbag. She took out the box her mother had pressed onto her a few hours earlier. She handed it to him and explained what her mother had said. George chuckled and hugged her.

"Your mum is amazing, do you know that?

"Why?"

"Because she's right Kathy," he explained, holding her hands, "I love you. I find you incredibly sexy. I'd love nothing more than to put one of these to use with you." He watched as she looked at her hands and shuffled nervously. He gently cupped her cheek in his had then raised her face to his. "Let me finish what I was saying my love. "But I also know that you've never been with a man in that sense. I know how you need to wait until you feel sure about us. I know this and I respect it. Truely I do. I will never ever pressure you into anything you're not ready for. I give you my word Kathryn Marshall. I give you my promise."

She smiled at him, her nervousness not quite so obvious. "Thank you," she whispered, "Thank you for being so understanding George. I love you very much and I find you sexy too. Hopefully, you and I won't have to wait too long for our chance to use the contents of the box!"

She moved in and kissed him. Once more the kiss became more passionate. This time George pulled away.

"I've just remembered something!" he announced, pulling a small box from his pocket, "This is for you sweetheart. This is my Valentines gift to you."

"Thank you," Kathy replied, taking the box from him and opening it. "Wow! George, this is gorgeous!" She lifted a dainty silver bracelet from the box. On it hung two charms, one a G, the other a K. He took it from her and fastened it on her left wrist. He kissed her softly.

"It looks lovely! I knew it would. The next piece of jewellery I intend to give you Kathryn Marshall, will be your engagement ring. Until then, this will have to do!"

He laughed at her stunned expression then, kicking off his shoes, he pulled her down onto the bed. When she protested, pointing out what his parents had said, he kissed her. "Just let's lie down together for a bit. I've been wanting to just cuddle up to you on our own all day. I'm not going to be here all night and we're fully dressed if either mum or dad come in. Just relax."

Eventually, she lay down beside him. The excitment of the day had made Kathy tired. George was as knackered as usual due to the demands of his Beatles schedule from the last month. Within minutes they were both fast asleep. Neither of them heard the door open or the hushed cross voice of George's mum when she found them sleeping together. They certainly didn't hear the sensible quiet voice of her husband telling her to let the couple sleep. They weren't doing any harm. He also said that if they were sleeping together in a sexual sense then they already have done so at George's flat so why make a fuss now. As much as Louise Harrison hated to admit her husband was right, she had to accept that he had a point!