Chapter 11

July 1965.

Kathy woke up,stretched luxuriously and grinned to herself. Here she was, in George's bed, in his flat, waiting for his return from The Beatles European Tour.  And even better, apart from one date in Blackpool and another in the US (when she was going to be travelling with him!)  they were to have the whole of her summer together. She'd come from Manchester to spend her school holidays with him. After all the time apart over the last few months, it seemed too good to be true! Before all that though, she had the world premier of The Beatles movie 'Help!' to look forward to. She'd already had a chance to meet up with Cynthia Lennon, who helped her find the right dress for the event. She'd planned her hair and already booked the hairdressers appointment. She was so excited! Life was, she decided, simply perfect. All she needed now was the man himself to return. However, that was to involve waiting for just two more days before that would happen!

A day later she sat watching the TV footage of The Beatles leaving the US. Even though she couldn't hear the commentary or the screams, the sights of the hordes of screaming girls and the lads clear discomfort when transferring from vehicle to vehicle, reminded Kathy of the day at Formby Sands when George had felt so uneasy by the group of teenagers.

'Keep safe!" she whispered to herself, hugging a cushion whilst sat on the sofa. She felt excited, knowing that George was now somewhere high in the sky, heading back home. He'd told her the flight was due to land at 8.25am English time. Then he reckoned it would take another 2 - 3 hours to go through customs and have yet another press conference. Then he'd be HOME! She looked at her watch. It was only 8.30pm! Finally she decided to clean the flat and change the covers on the bed to help pass the time. She knew she would be far too excited to sleep for some time yet!

Standing back to admire her work, she looked at the bedroom. The furniture gleamed where she had polished it and the carpet had been vacuumed within an inch of it's life. All the dirty clothes she had found scattered around the room and under the bed (including some of her own underwear, clearly discarded in a moment of passion!) were now in the washing machine. The bed itself was ready for them. Having already bought some new bedding and added extra pillows, it looked very inviting! A pretty bunch of flowers stood on the bedside table, leaving a sweet scent in the room.

Leaving the room, she went into the living room. She had finished this room earlier in the day. She gave the cushions another 'fluff' and cleared away the cup she had been using. Going through to the kitchen, the whole flat was, she knew, gleaming! She caught a glimpse of the kitchen clock. It was now almost 1am! Hurriedly rinsing the cup, drying it then putting it away, she went back into the bedroom and climbed into the bed, safe in the knowledge that tonight was the last night she would sleep there alone.

She awoke early the following morning and spent a long time on her appearance. After checking each room was tidy and perfect, she went into the living room and turned on the TV. Once more the news footage seemed to be concerned with the immenent arrival of The Beatles. Kathy was stunned at the number of girls already stood there screaming for their heros despite the early hour of the morning! She was really pleased that George had dissuaded her from wanting to come to the airport to meet him! She sat, legs cross, hugging the cushion once more as she watched their plane land safely. The door opened and there they all were. John first. Next Paul, Ringo and then last of all, George. They all looked tired. She studied George's face in particular He looked exhausted, poor man! She watched as they scanned the screaming fans, trying to hide how anxious they were. Instead she saw how they fixed a smile and waved. Finally descending the aeroplane steps, they were ushered into waiting cars which took them into customs. She knew that getting through customs for the boys was relatively easy. Police were more concerned with getting the lads safely out of the airport and the hordes of girls off site. The boys reappeared, this time on a small raised stage with a long table and microphones. She watched as they smiled over jolly fake smiles answering the questions being thrown at them. George, she noticed, did what he'd told her he preferred to do, sit there and let John and Paul answer the questions. The camera panned onto each of the lads in turn. She waited as George appeared. He winked, signed very quickly 'Kathy I love you!' before the camera moved on. She hugged herself in glee. George knew she would be watching and waiting for him. It made her tingle with excitement!