Chapter 16

Patricia Marshall answered the front door. Two men and a female police officer stood there.

 “Yes, can I help you?”

 “Hello madam. We’re from the Manchester Police Constabulary. I am Detective Inspector Robertson.”  One of the men replied, holding out his ID card.  “And these are my  colleagues, Inspector Woodsman and WPC Fisher.” The remaining officers held out their ID cards now.

 “What can I do for you?” Mrs Marshall asked, shocked to find the police at her door.

 “We’re here to speak to a Miss Kathryn Marshall please. Is she available?”

 “Kathy? You want to speak to Kathy? What about?”

 “I’m sorry madam, but the purpose of our visit is to speak to Miss Marshall. May we come in?”

 Sensing she had little choice, she stepped aside and let them in. She led them through to the kitchen and asked them to take a seat. As she made them a drink, she explained how Kathy was her daughter and that she was profoundly deaf and communicated by lip reading. She also said that she hadn’t been very well lately and could be asleep. Once the drinks were made, she went upstairs to get her.

 “Hello. I’m Kathryn Marshall.” she said as she entered the kitche and looked around, “I believe you want to speak to me?”

 Once more the lead officer made very brief introductions. Kathy just nodded politely and waited to see what happened next.

 “Miss Marshall, have you ever been in a relationship with a musician named Mr George Harrison?” The lead officer was looking at her intently.

 She looked at the officers and then at her mother. “Yes I was. But very briefly. We didn’t see each other much. We met in January this year. I ended our relationship nearly a month ago. Why?”

 “What was the cause of your relationship break up Miss Marshall?”

 “Look, I don’t want to be rude, but why do you need to know about my relationship with George? It’s over. I’ve not discussed anything about us publically. Has Brian complained or said something? What’s the problem?”

 The second male officer spoke now. “Brian?”

 "Brian Epstein. He’s the manager of The Beatles. He usually vets everything that goes on about the lads.”

The first detective tutted in annoyance. “Shall we get back to the purpose of our visit?” He frowned at his colleague then turned his attention back to Kathy. “Miss Marshall, we have received a report that sometime on evening of  the 29th July or in the early hours of the 30th July, Mr George Harrison sexually assaulted and then raped you. Is this true?”

 Kathy looked stunned. “What? Where have you heard that?”

“Miss Marshall, could you please just answer our question. Did Mr George Harrison, on that date, sexually assault then rape you?”

Kathy hesitated. “Look this really isn’t any of your business! George didn’t do anything like that! We were making love. He got a bit rough and hurt me. He wanted me to try something I thought was a bit too kinky and weird. We argued about it and then I finished with him. That’s it!”

“Miss Marshall, I must stress to you that lying to the police is an offence. Perverting the  course of justice it is called. It can also carry a custodial sentence. So I ask you the question again. Did Mr George Harrison sexually assault then rape you?”

Kathy looked at her mum. She pleaded with her eyes for help in what to do. Her mother signed to her. Kathy sighed and with tears rolling down her cheeks she admitted everything “Yes. It’s true. But I haven’t reported it nor do I want to press charges, so why are you here?”