Chapter 30

Kathy fell back against the pillows, panting. Delivering the second twin had been more more difficult. Suddenly George grabbed her arm. She turned to face him.
"He's crying!" he told her excitedly, "The baby, it's crying!"

Kathy turned to find the doctor stood smiling at them both. In her arms was another bundle wrapped in a blue blanket, only this time it wriggled.

"Congratulations," the doctor beamed at them both. "You have a very lively little boy. He's only just 3lb but he seems to be coping  well. His breathing is normal and his lungs are strong!"

Once more the bundle was handed to Kathy. She was mesmerised. Here was her own child, a living thing grown inside her. She kissed his head, hugged his warm body  and sniffed his baby smell. She turned to George, who was sat  watching her, tears rolling down his face. He gratefully took the baby from her when she offered him. Kathy watched the joy spread across his face as the baby squirmed in his arms.  Again he spoke to his second son, whispering softly so that no one could hear. This time Kathy didn't need to peep in on his whisperings. The smile on his face told her already!

For George, the birth of this child held so much hope. Hope that one day he and Kathy could begin again. Be the family they had once talked about, with a home together, for their son. He knew it was asking so much of her but  already Kathy had shown she'd forgiven him. She'd let him share  this precious time with her and done all she could to get him freed from the charges. Surely that meant something?

The doctor gently  took the baby from him and returned his son to his mother. He watched as Kathy was shown how to attempt to breastfeed her baby for the first time. He smiled at her growing excitement, despite the doctors warnings that he may not manage because of being born so early. He then gasped at the beautiful sight of seeing Kathy, baby suckling at her breast. She looked calm, ecstatically happy and almost serene. He absorbed the calmness of the situation, trying to hold the image of mother and son in his mind permenantly.

The peace was shatted when, from nowhere, a choking sound came from the baby. He was turning blue. Kathy screamed as her baby became rigid in her arms. The doctor snatched him away and took him from the room. George stared after her in total disbelief! Why had that happened? Kathy was sobbing, he realised. Once more he held her in his arms until, finally exhausted after the emotions of the day, she fell asleep on him.

He sat and waited.  He watched the clock on the wall moving ever so slowly.  A solitary midwife sat, clearly uncomfortable, at the back of the room. For George, the constant and unpleasant reminder that he was not allowed to be alone with the woman he still loved and who was now the mother of his children.There was a certain irony to it too, considering she herself had WANTED him with her. He looked down on her, she was stil fast asleep. She had moved now and was no longer lying against him. He stood up, stiff with being in the same position for so long. As he did so he noticed that Daniel was lying in a crib, almost forgotten.  He bent down and  picked up his son. He carried him over to where Kathy was sleeping. He kissed his child once more before placing him in the arms of his sleeping mother. Finally, himself exhausted, and ignoring all protests from the midwife, he curled up around Kathy on the bed and fell asleep.

That was how the doctor found them several hours later. George felt himself being shaken awake. He moved carefully so as not to disturb Kathy. The doctor looked grave.

"I need to talk to you both. I'm afraid Jacob is very poorly," she explained, "We tried to tube feed him but he responded the same way as when Kathy fed him. We believe he has a blockage in his intestines, they're under developed because he was born early. I'm going to need you be strong when this is explained to Kathy."

George nodded. "Are we going to loose him too?"

"I can't answer that question at this moment in time, I'm sorry. After 23 years in this role, what I have learnt is that babies can be very resilient Mr Harrison," said the doctor softly, "Even those like Jacob, who have so many odds stacked against them."