Chapter 7

Please note that this chapter involves a description of how Kathy feels to be deaf. To maintain the authenticity of the 1960's, some of the language used reflects people's attitudes to disablity at the time. I don't not share such views or wish to cause offence to anyone reading.

Also, sorry it's such a long chapter, I couldn't decide on a good break to split it into two separate chapters.

Kathy awoke with a start. She looked around the room, temporarily disorientated. Suddenly she realised George was next to her, sound asleep. She couldn't help but smile when she saw how relaxed and comfortable he looked. She slid carefully from the bed, tiptoed to the bathroom where she washed and dressed. She headed downstairs and into the kitchen where Louise and Harry were sat talking and enjoying a cup of tea.

"Morning lass!" Harry greeted her cheerfully. "Did you and George sleep well then?

She smiled nervously, realising that his parents knew they'd spent the night together. "Harry, Louise, I think I owe you both an apology." They looked at her in surprise. "I'm sorry about last night. George and I didn't intend to go against your wishes. We just wanted some time for a cuddle. We've not seen each other for so long and we simply fell asleep. Like I say, I am sorry. George and I, we didn't do anything other than sleep. That I promise you. We don't have that kind of relationship yet to be honest." she paused before continuing, "I know we've gone against what you felt was acceptable in your home and, like I say, I am sorry. I would understand completely if you wanted me to leave. I could arrange for George to take me home today if necessary." She gave a weak smile and blinked back the tears which were threatening. Everything was ruined and she had so looked forward to spending time with George.

"You know Louise," said Harry after a moment, "I think our George has found himself a wonderful lass in young Kathy here. She's a real lady. Good manners, educated, loves our lad to bits and has some self respect.  Those are rare qualities these days! Now as I see it Kathy lass, you and George didn't actually do anything other than sleep. No harm done there so I don't think we need to break George's our heart by sending you away."

"Really?" Kathy was crying now, "Oh thank you! Both of you!" Suddenly she felt George's arms snake around her waist as he kissed her neck.

"Thanks mum. Thanks dad. And like Kathy has said, we didn't plan last night."

Harry and Louise left the couple alone. "We'll wash up mum!" George called.

Once alone, Kathy turned and hugged him. He wiped away the tears. She gave him a watery smile. "Hi you! How are you today?"

"All the better for sleeping next to you," he told her, "I slept like a log!"

"You look a lot brighter than you did yesterday. Not as tired!"

"I feel tonnes better!" He sat down and rubbed his hands, "Right, can I persuade my lovely lady to make me some brekkie?"

Kathy smiled. "It would be my pleasure George my love. What would you like?"

As they chatted over a pot of tea and bacon sandwiches, they made plans for the day. George wanted to take her to Formby Sands, a local beauty spot  for a picnic.

"George, it's March," she laughed, "You don't have picnics in March!"

"At Formby Sands you do Kathy love. It looks it's best then. And the beach is glorious in winter! It has the added bonus of being really really quiet. Apart from the occassional dog walker, we'll be left in peace. What do you think?"

An hour or so later they climbed into the car. George loaded their picnic into the boot and they set off. The journey didn't take long. George parked up and they decided to  have a walk before lunch. They strolled hand in hand, enjoying the seclusion. George led her along an isolated path then stopped.