Chapter 12

Heaving a huge sigh of relief, Kathy closed the door behind her. At last she felt safe. Moving forward, she placed her case at the bottom of the stairs and walked towards the kitchen. She pushed the door open.

Her mother and father were sat at the table talking and enjoying a cup of tea. "Kathy!" Her mother stood up and went to hug her. Kathy fell on her sobbing.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

Kathy shook her head and cried even more.

"Kathy, as lovely as it is to see you, why are you here? Is George with you?"

Kathy looked up at her. She glanced to her father then back to her mother. "It's over mum. Me and George. It's done."

"NO! Oh Kathy why?"

Shaking her head, she stood up. "Mum, I'm sorry. I'm exhausted. I haven't slept all night. I need to sleep and then we'll talk. OK."

Something about her daughter's demeanour worried her mother. After glancing to her husband, she made a cup of tea and took a few biscuits and went up to Kathy. Pushing the door open, she found Kathy sat on the bed, sobbing, totally heartbroken. She patted her back to comfort her. Kathy sat up and gave a very weak watery smile when she saw the cup of tea and biscuits.

"What's happened Kathy love?" Her mother using the chance to talk now.

Kathy's eyes filled with tears once more. "George and I. I've left him. He's not the man I thought he was. I don't want to be with him anymore."

"Why?"

Kathy shook her head, "Please mum I really don't want to discuss this yet." She turned away. Suddenly she felt her hand being grabbed. She flinched as it hurt after the roughness she'd experienced with George.

"What that mark on your face?" Her mother looked at her, "My god, it's a bruise. You neck Kathy. It's covered in ....How did you get this?"

Kathy shook her head but refused to answer. Her mother took her hands and made Kathy face her.

"Kathryn Marshall. I want you to speak to me NOW! I want to know what's been going on and how the hell you've got bruises on your face, your arms, your neck and your wrists. If you don't tell me then I'm going to report that you've been assaulted to the police!"

"Mum no! Don't do that!"

"Then talk to me!" Kathy saw that her mum now had tears in her eyes too. "Please Kathy."

"George and I have split up. I've left him because....well because things weren't working out."

"Kathy, two weeks ago your dad and I received a phone call telling us that you and George were engaged. Even now I can see you wearing your engagement ring. If you managed to get from London to here by what, 9.30am. then you must have been on the station before 4am. What going on?"

Kathy looked at her mother, wrestling with herself and unsure how to say what she was feeling. "Mum, last night George and I went to the premier of the new Beatles film."

"Go on."

"There was a party afterwards. George got a bit drunk, so much so that on the way home he was more amourous than usual," she swallowed, her eyes filling with tears. "Oh mum, it was horrible. He was slobbering all over me, trying to kiss me and take my clothes off me. I tried so hard to make him stop. I begged and begged him to stop but he wouldn't!" She was crying now. "He just got rougher and rougher with me. I don't know why though mum, George knows I'll never turn him down if he wants to make love. I just didn't want sloppy drunken sex! He wouldn't stop mum. I tried to fight him off but he was too strong then when he pulled my underwear off I knew he wasn't going to stop!" She started to sob uncontrolably. Kathy felt her mother's arms wrap around her. "It was horrible mum. It hurt so much!"

Her mother looked horrified. Tears were rolling down her face. "Kathy, you know what you're saying don't you. What George did?"

Kathy nodded.

"You need to go to the police Kathy. I'll go and ring them and...."

"NO!" Kathy looked at her mum, desperate for her to support her on this, "Mum please. I'm not reporting this! There's no point! Let's face it, I've been in a relationship with George for 7 months. We've been have sex regularly and we're engaged. I won't be believed, I'll be some easy tramp or some judge will say I wasn't forced. That George, as my husband to be, got a bit rough. That as his wife to be, he's allowed to do that. No mum.I'm not doing anything about."

"He raped you Kathy!" Her mother was incredulous!

"I know!" Kathy screamed at her, "And if I report it, how many more times will I have to relive it mum. Please mum. I just want to try to move on from this not keep going back over it!"

Her mother came over and held her. She knew what Kathy was saying was right. "I would never have imagined George would do anything like that Kathy. He always seemed be so gentle and loving with you."

"He was mum, I promise." said Kathy sadly, "In all the time I've been with him, he's never hurt me before."

Her mother nodded. "Is there anything I can do for you to help?"

"I really need a bath," Kathy replied "I feel filthy. And I can smell George on me and I hurt all over!"

A short time later, her mother helped her to undress. She was horrified when she saw the bruises and small bite marks and scratches all over her body. Then, as Kathy lowered herself into the water, she showed her discomfort when she winced.

"What hurts darling?"

"I'm just sore mum. Down below. I've been bleeding a little bit too. I'm sure it will all feel better once I've had a soak."

She settled back into the water and sighed. The warmth soothed her aching body and she found herself beginning to doze off. Her mother came in with a hot drink and two painkillers. After having the drink and taking the tablets, she climbed out of the water. Her mother wrapped her in two large warm towels and then helped her to get dry and put clean pyjamas on. Kathy smiled as she was tucked in bed by her mother, reminding her a being a young child. Within minutes she was asleep!