Part I: The Beginning

"Girl you're so together"
Girl, You're So Together By Michael Jackson

November 4th, 1993

Isabelle Shae's Point Of View

"Thank you for everything Isabelle, you are an incredible lawyer, and I'll be sure to refer you to others," my client says as she shakes my hand with a sweet smile plastered onto her face.

I shake her hand before I respond. "Pleasure was all mine, I wish you great success with your book," I meet with a sweet tone.

Behind my client, I spot Frankie DeMarco, the law firms newest head lawyer. With a rich daddy and plenty of blue-collar connections, his transition from a college graduate to a well-paid lawyer was of no surprise. To my demise, he surpasses me as a lawyer and along with my husband, gets the best cases, therefore; best pay. With a newspaper underneath his right armpit and a large coffee in his hand, he signals me over. "Come to my office," he says as his eyes scan me up and down.

With pursed lips, I nod. I gently squeeze on my client Elizabeth's forearm, giving her a small smile. She returns the gesture, and we go our separate ways.

DeMarco hears the clacking of my heels behind him. He turns his head to the side slightly and eyes me to make sure I am following him. A smirk crawls upon his face due to me following his instructions. I let out a harsh breath through my nose and cross my arms as I continue my strides. I work my ass off too hard to be getting Patent cases, let alone following orders from a pampered graduate who doesn't know the first thing about hard work, I think to myself. DeMarco opens the door and continues his march to his comfortable leather chair. He leaves the door open for me to enter, how kind. I enter the room and purposefully keep the door open behind me.

My boss gives me a disapproving look for not closing the door; since it is expected of me. He motions me to sit down, and I shake my head. "God knows what has gone down on those chairs," I speak with an emotionless tone.

Frankie chuckles and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Things can't ever go smoothly with you, can they?" he laughs while keeping his stern expression.

"I don't know, DeMarco, give me a Criminal case and maybe things will go smoother."

"Okay, fine. Choose your case, Shae" he says as he reaches to the left of his pinewood desk and spreads out multiple folders.

After quickly glancing at my options, my smile fills the entirety of my face. I lean over and clutch onto the green folder. The folder is labeled "Manser Murders," a case that I have been following since its press release. Morgan Manser is a widow of his first love, he had been married to Lauryn for 23 years. When she was robbed and killed, Morgan was crushed, to say the least. Once the information came out on who committed the crime, he began to murder everyone who matched the physical description. If only Manser had the chance to get his hands on the man who actually committed the crime... I can't imagine how much torture he'd endure. This case is the definition of a defense lawyers dream. It may finally be the chance to prove my talent as a high- ranking lawyer, an opportunity I had yet to receive until now that is..."This one will do" I look down upon my choice.

Frankie scrunched his nose and twisted his lips before doing a not- so- genuine sympathetic expression. "Ooo, unfortunately, your husband has already been assigned to that case, I'm sorry darling" he pouts dramatically as his head cocks to the left.

I clench my jaw extremely tight, to the point it hurts. DeMarco stares into my eyes, unfazed. I realize that I can't win with him and loosen my jaw. I take in a few deep breaths with my eyes closed shut before even attempting to respond. "That's okay, DeMarco, I'm sure I can convince my husband to let me have this one" I speak professionally with a fake smile.