Exhaustion

"I can't take it much longer, my heart's getting weak it's not getting any stronger, you get me so upset, my head's in a whirl"
Doggin' Around by Michael Jackson

"What do you mean?" She takes in a deep breath, and her knee begins to bounce. I exhale and soften my expression as I notice Cheyenne is most obviously working herself up. 

"There's no need to be anxious," I state quietly. "It may not even be true, I'm sorry for bringing it up, okay?" I bring my attention to my pile of papers.

She adjusts herself so that she is parallel with me. "Just tell me, I'll tell you if it's true.." her anxious behavior is still prevalent.

I flash my eyes up from my papers to hers. "You and DeMarco. "She takes in a deep breath and turns her head to the side. Her lack of words baffles me. I lean forward with my lips parted due to my jaw extending downwards. "Cheyenne, for real?" I question almost breathlessly.

"Yes! Okay? Yes!" She snaps. Her hands hit against the hand rest before she pushes off of them to aid her readjusting in the seat. "Is that such a bad thing?" she states rather than questions.

"Well... Cheyenne, he is about to get married.." I soften my expression and tone of voice when I notice tears form at her waterline.

"She's never home, he never sees her" she defends with a wavering voice.

Melissa is a nurse who can explain the hours away from home. But, after all of the party's she's held for the office, she's befriended many, I had assumed Cheyenne was one of them as well. No one in this office dislikes Cheyenne and her adaptable personality, the same goes for Melissa and her bubbly one. I have never understood how DeMarco got in a relationship with such a sweet hearted and optimistic individual, and now I feel horribly wrong for her. Staring at a friend of mine get worked up about her situation also makes me feel terrible inside...

"Is he considering leaving her, then?" I try to speak in a tone that won't evoke any defensiveness from Cheyenne.

"No," she squeezes her eyes shut, shaking her head side to side as tears threaten to spill. "I asked... I asked him yesterday. He said - he said he loves her too much" emotion takes over her and floods through her vocal cords.

"Is that why you were beside your self yesterday? You told Jenkins?" I ask almost baffled at the realization, Jenkins is one of the hardest-headed individuals I've ever met.

"Yes," she reaches for my box of tissues. " I had cried for some time after Frankie, and I spoke, my tears had wet the papers I was working on, and Jenkins questioned it when I handed them in to be signed off" her sentence is cut off by the loud sound of her blowing her nose.

I nod for an extended amount of time as I try to envision it all happening. "Why didn't you tell me first?" I blurt, only soon realizing it is probably not the most ideal time to question further.

"Because," she motions her left hand aimlessly in the air. "You're perfect Isabelle," she stares into my soul with her eyes still watering. "You've got the beautiful looks, a good family life, good money, a fantastic job and a husband who loves you..," she looks down at her nails. "I don't have half of those, and I know if I did, I would never understand someone making the awful choices that I am." My heart sinks as she looks up at me, I wish she knew the mistakes I've made.

True AffairOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara