Concentrate

"Logic doesn't seem to mind that I am fascinated by your love affair"
Baby I'm a Fool By Melody Gardot

"I love you," Nathan hums as his thumb runs over my hand. His smile doesn't quite reach his eyes, but I don't pay it much mind.

"I love you too" a small smile pulls my lips. I draw my lower lip in between my teeth and begin to nibble.

I removed my hands from him as I fork my tortellini pasta. "We've been friends for so long," he states randomly.

I look up from my plate. "Mhm," I hum with a mouth full of food.

His gaze finally reaches mine. "I'm happy I shared my limited," he stresses, with bulging eyes. "Edition truck in that playpen. Even though you had that hideous dress on," he laughs out. I slap his hand and shake my head in laughter.

"You weren't looking too shabby either, who wears 2-year-old distressed overalls unless it's a trend."

"I'm a trendsetter" he winks before successfully stabbing his potato.

I smile as I continue my meal, thinking of all the memories I've had with Nathan. Our friendship is something that I could never replicate with another.

A few mouthfuls of food and an entire glass of wine later, our peaceful silence is disturbed. "I can't wait till we have kids, baby" he speaks out randomly, followed by a sip of Moscato.I put down my glass and shoot a glare at him. He got the message and corrected himself. "Adopt, of course," he smiles.

I twirl the glass of wine in my hand. "And why is that?" I arch a brow.

"I don't know, it would be cute to see a little one in the house. Have a little booster seat on the end of the table when we go out on dates" he points to the end of the booth.

A smile slips at his words. "It would," I glance over the end of the table. "But we're so busy at work.." I sigh.

"Mams would watch the kid," he said enthusiastically.

I roll my eyes, letting the cute moment drift away. I look in a different direction. "There it is.." I huff with a misleading grin.

"What?" Nathan questions.

"Your mom wants a grandchild, that's what this is about. Knowing her, she's probably been housing you since you were of age" I take a large sip of my wine. "I bet she wants a lighter skinned child, too" I murmur onto the glass.

"Hey," his eyebrows furrow in disapproval. "Sure, she wants a little one running around, but who's to say I don't want one too?"

I turn to face him fully. "When you were 24, do you or do you not recall telling my children aren't what you see having in your future?" I question with a cocked head.

"Isabelle, I've changed my mind. I want a family with you is that a crime?" He asks.